Pets - particularly the small ones

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Pets - particularly the small ones

Postby michellemedlin » Mon May 23, 2016 11:29 am

I am moving to Togiak mid July - I am bringing my 2 little girls with me. They are both Chihuahuas - anyone else ever move with such small dogs? One if 3 pounds and the other is 6 pounds. They are indoor dogs with an indoor potty system so going outside won't be an issue. Anything else I need to know that I've not thought about concerning their safety and needs?
michellemedlin

Re: Pets - particularly the small ones

Postby jodi » Mon May 23, 2016 5:42 pm

Hi there!

I'm also moving to Togiak with my pets. Obviously, I haven't made the move yet, but I would think, as far as inside the house is concerned, it will be similar to your house now: the only things harmful for your pets indoors are things you bring in yourself.

Besides concerns about vet availability, I would think the only questionable thing would be the flights to get there. Brachycephalic dogs shouldn't be flown, but since yours are Chihuahuas I doubt that is a concern. What I would be concerned with, and that I am kind of worried about, is doggie anxiety of being flown.

But that's all I can think of that could be a concern. Hope I helped a bit. If someone who has made the move with pets, hopefully they can give us a better idea.

See you there!
jodi

Postby Bushteachers » Mon May 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Two things to think about

1. Travel during breaks. You will need to schedule vet visits in anchorage to fly.

2. Eagles. They will eat your small dogs.
Bushteachers

Postby michellemedlin » Tue May 24, 2016 9:50 am

I've discussed with my vet about the anxiety of the flying; he has given me some homeopathic anti-anxiety drops to try with them; due to their size, he is not comfortable with a sedative.

As far as the vet health certificate, I do not need that with them flying in-cabin with me (according to the airline site and the airline rep I spoke with)

They'll be strictly indoor dogs, so I am not concerned with predators.

I also have someone that will be taking care of them (checking in on them) while I am out at in-service; I will keep a radio on for them and they have each other for company.

I was told that such small pets isn't so common and the kids will be super curious about seeing them :)

Jodi - what grade will you be teaching? I will be teaching 1st
michellemedlin

Postby Bushteachers » Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 pm

If they aren't going to be out I wouldn't worry about kids. I've never understood the small dog phenomenon. I've seen plenty of small dogs in the villages. We found that having a big dog as an indoor dog was different.

I'd caution letting kids come into the house. Once you allow them in, it's hard to get them out. Lol.
We used to get so many visitors at dinner time, which was fine when we had extras but feeding 5 extra mouths started to get pretty expensive. Finally had to kindly not accept visitors from certain times.

I'd also recommend discussing proper behavior when meeting your dogs. When we first arrived in our village our lab was traumatized from the 14 hour flight time. Literally. We couldn't leave her unattended after the trip. She lost all control of her bodily fluid functions. Anyways the kids mobbed her and it took some growling and snapping to get them off her. Thankfully she bit no one.
Bushteachers

Postby BermudaKristi » Wed May 25, 2016 11:09 am

I fly with my three pups everywhere (5 pounds each)- internationally and into Alaska. :) when I fly with all three then I have to bring 2 people with me because each one needs a person. Alaska airlines is different as it allows you to fly 2 in the same carrier of the same species within the state. Getting there is a different story :)

Airplane: I use sleepypod air carrier, each pup has one. They are pricey but well worth it as they mold to fit into whatever small seat space in front of you without collapsing or squishing the pup. Also the best ventilation of any carrier I've used this far. If you plan on traveling often with your dogs, it's well worth the investment. 2 of the 3 travel well- just sleep the whole time. The third had a bad experience on a plane (some kid next to me wasn't paying attention and knocked him off the seat in the carrier while leaving) so he requires just a bit of baby Benadryl to chill out :) that works the best. I've tried the homeopathic sprays and thunder jackets- all they do for mine is stink the carrier and make the dogs hot (jackets). The air doesn't circulate in the floor under the seats so keep that in mind if your dogs tend to overheat. Puddle jumper planes- you may need the baby Benadryl anyways for motion sickness :)

2. Health certificates- I highly highly recommended getting one if coming from lower 48- I've always been asked for one when arriving through Canada or anchorage airport. Alaska airlines has a coupon with banfield- just print it out and use it for each pup:) it's like $40

3. Eagles- they are your biggest enemy. My pups use spike bite harnesses- they look like little transformers wearing them (cute ones of course)- but the color is supposed to bug the bird of prey and they literally have spikes in them to stab the eagles talon if they were to get picked up.
BermudaKristi

Postby michellemedlin » Thu May 26, 2016 1:11 am

I will try the Bendryl - I have a friend who said it did the opposite for her dog so to make sure to test it a day or two before to see how they'll react. The carrier I have is pretty nice and they have plenty of room! I put them in it to test it and they started playing inside! I will keep the carrier up on the tray during the flight so they won't be crammed under the seat.

What if they start whining, crying, barking? I'm going to have a lot of people not like me for a 6 hour flight lol

My flight is straight from Oklahoma City on Alaskan Air - to Seattle - to Anchorage... then to Dillingham (all on same ticket.. was much cheaper that way.

Here is the carrier:
13226738_10206417578420690_7331598836381910303_n.jpg
13226738_10206417578420690_7331598836381910303_n.jpg (132.92 KiB) Viewed 12086 times
michellemedlin

Return to ATP Forum