Certification questions

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Certification questions

Postby Fabbecky » Mon May 02, 2016 9:52 am

So I am currently certified in NV in Special Education K-12 and Social Studies 7-12. I'm trying to figure out all the paperwork I need to start the process for an Alaska certification. My biggest concern is the competency tests. I took the New York state tests 5 years ago before moving to NV. The tests are only good for 3 years and I don't have copies of my scores and can't order new ones. Will I need to take Praxis exams before I can be certified in Alaska?
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: Certification questions

Postby Transplant2AK » Mon May 02, 2016 11:04 am

My best guess is that you will need to take them. My wife and I are doing the same right now. We have passing scores on the Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure, but that is not accepted by Alaska. Similarly, our current state, New Hampshire, does not require a basic competency exam if you have a master's degree or beyond. We're signed up to take the Praxis Core next week. Although you can be certified as out of state for a year without it, we don't want to have to worry about it while we are up there so we're taking it in advance.
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Certification questions

Postby jodi » Mon May 02, 2016 11:08 am

Hi, here's a link to the EED website that has Basic Competency Exam Information.

It says there that if you have an Out-of-State License you may qualify for a One-year Initial Certificate. However, if you want to teach for more than a year, you have to submit a Basic Competency Exam eventually anyway. I would just take the exam and get it out of the way.

I recommend you email EED (tcwebmail@alaska.gov) and ask them directly what would be best for you.
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:56 am

Re: Certification questions

Postby Fabbecky » Mon May 02, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks Jodi. I did email the EED website. And I will probably need to take more Praxis anyway - I have a gut feeling once my family and I get to Alaska we will never live in the Lower 48 again! :D

Right now I am trying to figure out how much the move is going to cost me including the license application and if I need to add the costs of more PRAXIS exams into that!
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:04 pm

Re: Certification questions

Postby Johncn » Mon May 02, 2016 4:12 pm


Things are fluid in teacher certification, and any advice here should be verified with EED. Sondra Meredith may do another Teacher Certification FAQ live chat in late June or early July. This is there busiest time of year, so if you amail them, or call, please be patient.

The link to the Basic Competency Exam information above is important. The basic competency exam (BCE) requirement is for ONE of the approved tests...either the Praxis I or those from other states listed on the page. If a teacher has one of the BCEs, he or she does not then need to take another one. This is totally separate from any other tests in content area. It's like a threshold or lowest common denominator in basic skills for teachers.

https://education.alaska.gov/TeacherCer ... raxis.html

A teacher with current certification in another US state or territory will generally get an Initial certificate, and then have to take one of the aproved exams. It is

In this case, the New York test information posted on EED is this:

New York State Teacher Certification Liberal Arts and science Test

Qualifying Test Scores

A qualifying score of 220 on the New York State Teacher Certification Liberal Arts and Sciences Test must be submitted with the application for Initial teacher certification. Applicants must submit an original examinee score report showing passing scores the exam.

So, a score of 220 or higher would seem to obviate the need for a Praxis test for a New York teacher mor teacher candidate moving to Alaska.

Your mileage may vary! Verify with EED before making major life decisions...lol.


User avatar
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:05 am

Return to ATP Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests