Teaching in Yukon Flats District

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Teaching in Yukon Flats District

Postby Micki249 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:54 am

I am considering teaching in the Yukon Flats district. Does anyone have any information about the district or Venetie? I am excited about what I have researched and read so far, but there is not much information about the district or Venetie. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
Micki249

Re: Teaching in Yukon Flats District

Postby marymatt718 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:40 am

Hey Micki249
Check my post on using the ASPI score of a location to assess the school. It isn't cut and dried, as not all 1 star schools are horrible (Togiak is a 1 star school because of attendance), but it gives you a place to start to ask some pointed questions about what's going on in the school and what they are doing to try to change that. If you have to choose between 2 schools you're equally interested in, an ASPI score might help you choose between the 2 schools.
Good luck!
mm718
marymatt718

Postby Micki249 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:24 am

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful and interesting. I am saving it so I have it to use as a reference. I also found a teacher that is teaching in Venetie this year, so she has been a valuable source. Everyone has been very friendly and forthcoming with information.

Thanks again.
Micki
Micki249

Postby Transplant2AK » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:52 am

Ironically, my wife ran into a former YFSD teacher at a post office in rural New Hampshire while we were mailing a couple of information packets to our new employer last week. She heard her mention Alaska and started up a conversation about her time there. She taught in Fort Yukon, Venetie, and Arctic Village over several years and had nothing bad to say about any of them. She communicated that the landscape is "breathtaking."

There is some third-hand information for you :lol:
Transplant2AK

Postby keely.m.oconnell » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:11 pm

If anyone out there is looking at YFSD, heads up! I'm leaving my position in Arctic Village to go to graduate school, and I'd love to help find the right person to replace me. I've written a pretty extensive description of the job and of the community - please check it out!
https://chasingpiggens.wordpress.com/2019/03/29/adventurers-nurturers-skijorers-we-want-you/
keely.m.oconnell

Postby Trishamane » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:00 pm

Thank You for the information it was very useful.
Trishamane

Return to ATP Forum