Hiring in January and Febuary

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Hiring in January and Febuary

Postby seth1976 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:21 am

Hi everyone!

I am a student completing my Social Studies degree in Secondary Education at Grand Valley State University in Michigan. I am currently doing my Teacher Assisting, and will do my Student Teaching in the Fall of 2016. My situation is this:

I do a lot of hiking and have always dreamed of hiking the Appalachian Trail, and figure that post-graduation is the best time to do it. My plan is to graduate in December, work and apply for teaching jobs in Alaska in January and February, and start the trail early in March. I won't finish the trail until July and hope to have a job lined up for September in Alaska.

In your experience, how likely is it that I will be able to line up a job in January or February for the next school year so that I won't have to deal with applying for jobs while on trail? I would prefer a job in an off-road district/bush, but really would be open to anything as it would be my first teaching job.

Any advise or words of wisdom are greatly appreciated!
seth1976

Re: Hiring in January and Febuary

Postby Transplant2AK » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:24 pm

Hello Seth,

My wife and I just navigated the hiring season and got our first jobs in Alaska, so we're not experts, but I'm happy to share our limited experience.

We did a lot of applying in January and February. There was a lot of "radio silence" so to speak, up until the end of February. During the last week of February, around a half dozen districts got in touch with us about interviews. We got the sense that they were just starting to seriously investigate candidates around that time. We signed with a district during the first week of March.

As far as beginning in September goes, I am not sure what other districts require, but the one we signed with requires us to be on site by August 3rd. We plan to arrive in Anchorage at the very end of July, to give us time to purchase necessary supplies before heading out to the site. Some districts host events for their new staff during the last week of July to help with the transition, too. Those events might involve you coming up earlier than expected.

I hope this helps. Good luck on the Appalachian Trail!
Transplant2AK

Postby Bushteachers » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Hiring season for new teachers really starts around March. Are there openings before? Sure, however most districts start applying once they know what teachers aren't coming back.
I would strategically plan your stops where you will have Internet access. Once the hiring season starts you will be bombarded with interview requests.

Word of advise though...take a few more praxis tests. You need to be more marketable to a bush district and a SS cert alone will not set you apart. Take ELA or math or science praxis tests to open up more doors. If you can get SPED certification that would be even better.

As far as September...good luck finding a district that will allow you to show up then.
Bushteachers

Postby seth1976 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Thank you both,

Its good to get perspectives from people who have experienced the hiring process! I guess I'll have to depend on planning and a little bit of luck. I worded my initial post a little strangely, I would be able to start work as soon as I finish my hike, hopefully in July, so I won't have to try to find a position that starts as late as September.

Thanks again!!!!
seth1976

Postby Bushteachers » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:08 pm

Yeah that makes a big difference. Being in the trail may cause you to miss out on some of the better locations.
Wait until you gain a job then do the hike. I'm section hiking. Lifetime goal of mine, but small children and current location limits my AT time.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum