Using ASPI ratings for school choice

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Using ASPI ratings for school choice

Postby marymatt718 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:51 am

Hey guys,
Since I have had to start considering a new place to teach, facing the horrible thought that I might have to make the choice to leave my beloved Togiak :( (love my dogs more, I'll just say it right now) I have found that using a school's ASPI score gives me a way to make a preliminary evaluation of its academics.

ASPI stands for Alaska School Performance Index and indicates things like attendance rate (do the parents get their kids up and get them off to school?), graduation rate, and proficiency in reading, writing, and math (not science, unfortunately for me, but I can work with the other criteria). Based on these, a school gets an overall score and a star rating from one to five stars: five being REALLY good, and one indicating that serious improvements are necessary.

If you use the following link, which sorts the schools by districts, you can get an idea of what's going on in that school. If it's a one star school, like my beloved Togiak, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad place and you don't want to work there. It just means you might want to ask your interviewers why the school has that rating and you might want to reach out to a few teachers in that school to see if they can give you any insight. Hopefully Johncn will weigh in on this with better information, but I can at least give you a place to start finding a bit more information about the districts and the schools you are considering. Here is the link for the 2013/2014 scores:

https://education.alaska.gov/akaccounta ... ummary.pdf

Good luck to you all! Happy hunting!
Donna M (marymatt718)
marymatt718

Re: Using ASPI ratings for school choice

Postby BermudaKristi » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks Donna!! You are always ever so helpful!! Good luck on your hunt!
BermudaKristi

Return to ATP Forum