The Next Step

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

The Next Step

Postby dkmullins » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:03 pm

My wife and I just applied for two teaching positions in a fabulous school district that we are VERY excited about. We also sent an email with a letter of introduction and our resumes to the superintendent.
Anyway, we are unsure of what the next step is (we don't want to try and contact the superintendent again and seem obnoxious) and what would be appropriate for us to do from our end (My wife is finishing her student teaching and I got a job at the school I did my student teaching at so neither of us has any experience applying for teaching positions) and we are hoping someone might have some advice?
We are attending the job fair in anchorage in just a few short weeks! Any help anyone can provide would be very much appreciated!
dkmullins

Re: The Next Step

Postby Johncn » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:58 pm

My wife and I just applied for two teaching positions in a fabulous school district that we are VERY excited about. We also sent an email with a letter of introduction and our resumes to the superintendent. Anyway, we are unsure of what the next step is (we don't want to try and contact the superintendent again and seem obnoxious) and what would be appropriate for us to do from our end

Hi,

The next step depends largely on the response you got (or didn't get) from the district. How long ago did you apply? If the superintendent has responded, what was that like?

Another factor to consider is the district's hiring process. Do you know anything from the district's job listing or website about the selection process? Is there a closing date for the jobs? How competitive are the positions (subject and grade)?

In general,it's a bit like online dating. ;-) If the district responded, try to establish a bit of communication with them...ask about the jobs briefly, but with enough detail to show you two have researched the district. Volume of communication is not as important as maintaining a bit of dialogue to establish mutual potential interest.

If the district did not respond, I'd try establish contact with either an HR person, or the principal (s) that you and your wife would be working for in the new jobs. Same approach, really, ask informed decisions about the work and the district.

Districts want to be pestered by good candidates. Trust me. At this time of year, your job is to somehow, some way get their attention and establish mutual interest. Not every staff member will want constant contact, but try to find an ally in the district's HR process. Be polite, but persistent.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum