Certification Quesitons

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Certification Quesitons

Postby abstir6 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:18 am

Hey guys...

I am certified Math 5-9 and Elementary K-6. When I received my "yellow card" from Alaska my certificate for Alaska only shows Math 5-9, which is fine as that is what I really want.

My question is: I recently certified in Florida for Math 9-12 also. I called the Alaska Cert office to see how I can get this added to my Alaska certificate so I'll be eligible to teach high school math (Algebra and Geom) and she advised Alaska does not allow me to add an additional certification. I wasn't really understanding what she meant.

Does anyone have a little more clarity on this? The lady I spoke to did say I "should" be eligivle to teach HS math in Alaska, but that it wouldn't be on my certificate.

Thanks!
abstir6

Re: Certification Quesitons

Postby Transplant2AK » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:16 am

After a quick Google search, I found this:

https://education.alaska.gov/teachercer ... ements.pdf

I'm not sure if that will help, but it might be a place to start.
Transplant2AK

Re: Certification Quesitons

Postby Johncn » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:00 am

Hi,

Your situation and the right answer will depend on lots of factors we don't have access to regarding your background, the training program you were in, and EED's interpretation of what is acceptable for districts to decide. EED provides guidance on "highly qualified", but allows districts to assign you to the age range / subject area they see as a good fit.

I heartily recommend you attend this Thursday's live chat and ask EED's Certification Guru Sondra Meredith your basic questions, She makes the policy guidlines for EED's staff,

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum