Safe to Assume?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Safe to Assume?

Postby dkmullins » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:58 pm

My wife and I are highly interested in moving to Alaska to teach this next school year. I've been teaching middle school math for 5 years and she is just finishing up her student teaching this spring. I got my application completed via ATP and received an email from a rural school informing me that they have a 6-12 position opening up next year.
As my license is a K-8, I'm going to assume I am not qualified for this teaching position?
dkmullins

Re: Safe to Assume?

Postby Bushteachers » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:31 am

dkmullins wrote:My wife and I are highly interested in moving to Alaska to teach this next school year. I've been teaching middle school math for 5 years and she is just finishing up her student teaching this spring. I got my application completed via ATP and received an email from a rural school informing me that they have a 6-12 position opening up next year.
As my license is a K-8, I'm going to assume I am not qualified for this teaching position?

You are qualified for part of it. You will more than likely need to take praxis tests and work towards being highly qualified in the other areas.

When we first moved up here I was certified in SPED and elementary. I became a MS/HS SS/ELA teacher with part time SPED as well. AK didn't recognize my SPeD cert. I eventually took 5 praxis tests over two years.
Bushteachers

Postby dkmullins » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:45 am

Thank you for the response! Does that mean that you were hired to teach grade levels that you originally were not certified to teach based on your out of state license but then you worked until you received the other certifications?
dkmullins

Postby Bushteachers » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:57 am

dkmullins wrote:Thank you for the response! Does that mean that you were hired to teach grade levels that you originally were not certified to teach based on your out of state license but then you worked until you received the other certifications?

Yes. I was only certified in another state in Elemenatary and SPED. My first year I was a 1/2 SPED teacher and then we had a teacher resign. I stepped into her role (MS/HS ELA and SS). I just slowly took the praxis tests as I could afford them.

Check with the EED before you take my word as gold and I would provide a link but I am on my phone and our "3G" is suuuuupppper slow.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum