Household Lists for Bush shopping.

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Household Lists for Bush shopping.

Postby Adrianna » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:38 am

I found this site and the actual site lists it organized. I am not a current Teacher in the bush although I am a born and raised Alaskan and have lived in the bush over the years in different places and in rural Alaska too. I think it would be great to post suggestions that current and former educators working in the bush and even rural Alaska could post their lists, tips and tricks on organizing exactly what is needed. The other thing is to think ahead to the holidays. I am going to be posting over time some of my charts about how I would organize things. I organized by room as in kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, living room, mud room, etc as in needs. Also another idea is to think ahead. I would plan each holiday carefully ahead of time. So lets say one starts school and arrives in August. Well Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas plus assorted birthdays and then villages depending on where you live have potlaches(Potlucks), also don't forget birthdays of Staff and kids and the friends you make in the village. I always buy some home made card making kits to bring with me for these purposes. These are easy to make and generic but you can personalize them. Also I tend to bring little gifts as in 1.00-2.00 gifts ahead of time. I plan for the holidays ahead of time as in bringing in Halloween candy/decorations that I enjoy. I celebrate all the holidays but that's me. I am not saying everyone has to. But anyway plan ahead. I bring in thanksgiving and Christmas decorations or plan to order them ahead of time as well. Also I always keep disposable Tin cooking dishes for potlaches and parties. This way I don't need the pan back or worry about it. Also I buy several cheap plastic serving forks and spoons that I don't want back and also always bring in paper plates, silverware and napkins again planning ahead. But anyway would be great to post suggestions. Also its not just for bush Alaska. Their are many places in Rural Alaska that are on the road system but far away from the nearest major grocery store, so folks order a lot and have it shipped in since driving hundreds of miles especially in the winter can be impractical. Anyway one thing Costco in Anchorage on Dimond is great, Mr Prime beef is great and circle foods is another one for fruet and vegie shipping. If you order on sites the price is good but check the shipping. Ordering in bulk and pooling resources is a great thing. Also don't forget hangers pack them they are great and if you have pets don't forget to order plenty of food for the four leggeds not just the two legged lol. I would put my pet in their pet carrier which was always a bigger size then they needed and pack in their a few days supplies packed in the back of the kennel itself for cats, water bowel, food bowl, a small litter pan, a few days supply of litter and catfood and of course their blanket. This way no matter what their first few days of food, treats and litter arrives with them and your not panicked cause the items are not their when you arrive yet etc. Advanced plan everything everything and ordering bulk is cheaper and a good thing. Don't forget luxuries. I love Chai Tea for example. I get the Chai from Costco and have it delivered in bulk. I enjoy a chai a day while watching the snow and eating ice cream on a cold winters day. Oh its the best :). Anyway hope others join in and contribute.

http://grambk11.tripod.com/PRINTHOUSEHO ... IST-2.html

HOUSEHOLD SHOPPING LIST

Circle what you need, cross out as you shop

*FOOD* *KITCHEN* *BATHOOM* *LAUNDRY*
Milk Detergent Toilet tissue Detergent
Eggs Sponge/scrub Kleenex Bleach
Bread Wipes Handsoap Fabric softn
Butter Scour pwdr Body wash Spray starch
Fruit Spray clnr Body scrub ____________
Vegetables Spray wax Face scrub ____________
Meat Floor clnr Toothpaste *MISC*
Fish Disenfectant Mouthwash Baby items
Soup/broth Window clnr Floss Vitamins
Dessert Mop/broom Toothbrush Medicine
Cereal ____________ Deodorant Vacuum bags
Potatoes ____________ Powder Lottery tckts
Rice/beans Paper towels Body spray Film
Pasta Napkins Hand cream Potpourri
Sauces Clear wrap Face cream Candles
Dressings Foil wrap Shampoo Stamps
Baby food Wax paper Conditioner Cards/gifts
Coffee Sandwich bag Hairspray Batteries
Tea Garbage bags Brush/comb Lite bulbs
Frozen food ____________ Shave cream ____________
Ice cream ____________ Razor/blades ____________
Cake mix Sugar Antiseptic ____________
Cookie mix Flour Bandaids ____________
Munchies Salt/Pepper Q-tips ____________
Coffee filter Spices Personals ____________
Pet food ____________ Air freshener ____________
____________ ____________ ____________ ____________
*COUPON* *COUPON* *COUPON* *COUPON*

Worse than having to go shopping is FORGETTING SOMETHING !
Adrianna

Re: Household Lists for Bush shopping.

Postby marymatt718 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:36 pm

Adrianna, you ROCK! :lol:

I'm telling you now that I am going to pilfer your list to add to the welcome packet I send out to our "newbies" in the summer before their arrival. ;)
I will give you full credit however. What an awesome list :!:

Thank you!
marymatt718

Postby Adrianna » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Thanks, this make me smile. I figure it can be over whelming for new Teachers and anyone heading in to the bush or even rural areas that are not close to major stores. I am a bit busy with the holidays. But I do have some more I am going to post. Its a list per each room to give a break down at least a general one for what it takes to buy everything from soup to nuts and everything in between as the saying goes. :).
Adrianna

Postby ShiloMcManus » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:10 am

We (my husband and I) are currently teaching in Akutan, Alaska (out on the Aleutians) and have been buying most of our non-perishables from Walmart.com. The prices are good and they don't charge shipping on orders over $35.00. They ship vie Fedex and depending on your location it can take a few weeks for the items to come in so it is important to order ahead. Just thought I would pass the info along in case it could be useful.
ShiloMcManus

Postby Adrianna » Tue May 10, 2016 2:13 am

Just bumping :)
Adrianna

Postby Adrianna » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:27 pm

Bump!!
Adrianna

Postby Adrianna » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:27 pm

Bump!!