Shopping list tips

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Shopping list tips

Postby BermudaKristi » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:57 am

Feel free to add veterans :)

I haven't lived in a bush village yet (visited, but not longer than a week), I always lived "on the road". But, I have lived abroad for the last 12 years or so, so have some shopping list ideas for newbies. Luckily, Amazon and other American stores ships to Alaska! A luxury I haven't had living abroad so I think I will feel a bit spoiled upon my return to Alaska! Haha. I have always mailed stuff to America and picked it up on holiday 10 or so months later.

For those of you who haven't lived in a place without many store options or walking into a store expecting to buy butter or eggs and there simply isn't any...I recommend, especially going into the holiday season, to start your list now. I personally keep a spiral notebook in the kitchen and as I cook- I write down the spices or ingredients I use- that way you have a running list of your common cooking items. So when you go to Walmart or Costco for your big shopping to buy salt and pepper, you will also remember paprika or vanilla extract! Easy things to forget. Also, since you may be shopping in July or August, you may not think about thanksgiving or Xmas- so when you have your holiday meals this year- write it down, so you remember to buy the pies and stuffing! :) Same goes for when you have a cold or headache, write down the Alleve or chloroseptic spray. Nothing was worse than literally being in the middle of nowhere in Uganda with the flu and I never shipped myself Tylenol because I never get sick.

Just a few ideas to make transition and shopping a bit easier:) but, now there is Amazon to really help! Kristi
BermudaKristi

Return to ATP Forum