Small Schools in Need of 10 Students

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Small Schools in Need of 10 Students

Postby TheCousins » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:27 am

I posted on this page last year that my wife and I had 3 young kids and were looking for a bush school with childcare. Well, now we are expecting our 4th child. We reassessed and think it might be nice to live in the bush on one salary and have my wife stay home with the kids. I know I will be much less marketable alone than we would be as a teaching couple so I am trying to find a way to might myself more appealing. My question is:

How old do kids need to be to count towards the enrollment population? I was thinking 4 kids could really help a struggling bush school with their numbers. I know the new baby coming in April and one that will be 2 in August won't help. My oldest will be 5 in September of next school year and I have another that will be 3 1/2. Do these 2 count?

Thanks in advance for the help.
TheCousins

Re: Small Schools in Need of 10 Students

Postby Johncn » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi,

In general, because the age range of compulsory attendance is 7-16, schools are not required to have, and are not paid for preschool programs. They do get "Foundation Forumlua" funding (this is the main mechanism for school funding on a per pupil basis) for students in grades Kindergarten through 12th grade. There are some exceptions to this rule in some years that allow certain rural districts to get partial funding for pre-school programs. This is more the exception than than the rule, though.

The base number of students required to get a school funded is ten (10) from K-12 during a 20-day count period for "membership" in October. In other words, students ENROLLED (not necessarily present) for those 20 days has to be at least 10.0 or higher.

http://www.touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/statutes/title14/chapter30/section010.htm

In addition, rural schools in Alaska that are primarily made up of Alaska Native students often get significant funding from "Impact Aid" - a formula that tries to lessen the impact of having mostly non-taxable lands owned by the federal government or its entities. This does count younger (preschool) students.

http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title14/Chapter17/Section410.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Re: Small Schools in Need of 10 Students

Postby lauren burch » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:24 am

Hello, SISD has 8 schools that are considered small with 10 to 15 students. We accept 4 year olds in kinder, but only Thorne Bay has a prek program. So, yes, going to be tough for both of you to work unless you do childcare. We do between one and two teachers at these small sites, so of more concern is your certification. We can pipe in higher level courses so we generally look for an elementary teacher with some secondary skills. One way to expand your marketability for small schools is to do the Praxis 2 for anything you can pass. Do not hesitate to contact me for further information, Lauren Burch at lburch@sisd.org good luck
lauren burch

Return to ATP Forum