ATP Summer Job Fair Registration - 2017

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

ATP Summer Job Fair Registration - 2017

Postby Johncn » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:18 am

Hello,

Just an FYI that that registration for the 2017 Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) Summer Job Fair in Anchorage is now open!

2016 ATP Job Fair Information
http://www.alaskateacher.org/alaska_job_fairs.php

2016 ATP Job Fair Registration
http://www.alaskateacher.org/atp_jf_candidates.html

ATP has completed all of its 2017 Lower 48 Job Fairs this spring.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Re: ATP Job Fairs Registration Open - 2016 Cycle

Postby BermudaKristi » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:05 am

Thanks! I registered. Now coordinating flights to anchorage from Bermuda. :)
BermudaKristi

Postby abstir6 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:32 am

Is there a group code for a discount at Captain Cook Hotel or is it the $99 they are showing on there website? Confused as the ATP website says there is a special price for the job fair.

Thanks!
abstir6

Postby Johncn » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:20 am

Hello,

That hotel at $99 would be the special rate, as they will sell out for it. Some years there is a specific code to get the block price. Their rack room rate is much higher.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby abstir6 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:11 am

Thank you! I just booked my hotel and plane tickets :)

Very excited. I got my yellow card in the mail, and am ready for the 2016 school year to roll around!
abstir6

Postby Toni McFadden » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:21 am

abstir6,
If you are ready, look for openings that will start in January. Many of our school districts started the year with long term subs in classrooms and will be looking to hire in December and January.
Best wishes
Toni
Toni McFadden

Postby joel.antes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:26 pm

I've been quietly lurking on this forum for years now...slowly gathering information as I worked on my degree... Today I signed up for the Anchorage Job Fair! I can't wait!

I do have a question: Where is the best place to stay? It seems like the Captain Cook is kind of expensive. Is that where everyone stays, or should I look at other options? I'm not familiar with downtown Anchorage. Is it walkable if I stay a few blocks away?
joel.antes

Postby Toni McFadden » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:32 pm

I'm so glad you will be joining us Joel!
Downtown Anchorage is very walkable that time of year. ATP does negotiate a cheaper price for hotel rooms at the Captain Cook, I don't know if you will find anything much cheaper, but it doesn't hurt to look around. Stop and say hello when you check in at the registration area.
Toni McFadden

Postby BermudaKristi » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 am

Just booked my tickets! 4 layovers to get there and 4 back from Bermuda, but I know it'll be worth it! Excited to visit with districts and hope to be there next year permanently! I arrive the Tuesday before, so if anyone wants to meet up for dinner/coffee- just message me!

Kristi
BermudaKristi

Postby NeilH » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:33 am

Just booked my flight from NC to ANC, had been watching the price in flux for a few weeks, got a great deal. Will book the hotel today or tomorrow...

Now time to get my licensure application sent off... final step of getting fingerprints and putting the applications in a large envelope. How has the turn around time been for the licensure application?

I'm a little excited and nervous, this will be the first job fair I will attend as a participant and not as a school representative.

Where is a place around the hotel to get a good cup of coffee in the morning? You know, the important things to know when in a new city.
NeilH

Postby Johncn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi Neil,

The Captain Cook hotel has a coffee shop, but I would recommend Snow City Cafe. It is about a two minute walk if you leave out of central lobby. Great breakfasts in a progressive diner type feel...and very good coffee. There are many places to get coffee in easy walking distance of the event.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby NeilH » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:09 pm

I thought the room rate went up!! When I clicked on the link to Captain Cook, took me to the reservation page, rooms were not listing at $99/night, were back up to $150
But with a quick phone call and setting up reservation over the phone, the $99 rate was good. Just in case anyone else has the same situation.

Thanks for the coffee suggestion, with the long flight and time difference of NC to AK, may need something to get in balance that first day.
NeilH

Postby betteach » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:59 pm

This might be a silly question, but I got my first job in Alaska over the phone!
If I'm coming in to check on administrative jobs, do I need to register for the job fair? Can I just show up and look around?
Thanks -
betteach

Postby Johncn » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi,

Everyone who attends an ATP Job Fair needs to be registered for that event. They are free to educators, but registration is not optional.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby marymatt718 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:50 pm

If the rooms blocked for the Job Fair sell out at Hotel Captain Cook, I can recommend The Voyager Hotel, which is literally across the street. They have an airport shuttle (picked me up from a flight from Texas at 2 in the morning!), breakfast, and nice rooms. I think they might be slightly less expensive that HCC, but I was there going-on three years ago now, so I can't remember. I do remember how pleasant my stay was.
marymatt718

Postby BermudaKristi » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:33 am

NeilH wrote:I thought the room rate went up!! When I clicked on the link to Captain Cook, took me to the reservation page, rooms were not listing at $99/night, were back up to $150
But with a quick phone call and setting up reservation over the phone, the $99 rate was good. Just in case anyone else has the same situation.

Thanks for the coffee suggestion, with the long flight and time difference of NC to AK, may need something to get in balance that first day.

I had the same thing happen- but a phone call fixed it and she just booked me over the phone. I arrive at 1:30am...fun fun! Getting back to bermuda was a lot more difficult!
BermudaKristi

Postby tKoz » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:19 pm

So there will be nothing available in the midwest? :|
tKoz

Postby Johncn » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:52 am

tKoz wrote:So there will be nothing available in the midwest? :|

Hi,

Actually, many Alaska districts do travel to job fairs in the Midwest to recruit teacher and administrator candidates. There are Alaska districts represented at fairs in Minnesota (http://www.mnedfair.org/), Wisconsin (https://careers.education.wisc.edu/fairs/, https://services.education.wisc.edu/werf/), Michigan (Michigan State, Central Michigan University Teacher Recruitment Fair, University of Michigan), and Ohio (http://buckeyebonanza.weebly.com/about.html), to name a few. Some of those are run by regional or state teacher college consortia, and others are individual universities.

However, I am told that the ATP Advisory Board decided (after several years of light candidate turnout) to drop their own, Alaska-focused job fair in Minneapolis this year. Austin, Texas has replaced Minnesota on the ATP Job Fairs schedule for 2016.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby abstir6 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:03 am

With the job fair being Friday and Saturday... is Friday just an expo to meet and greet and Saturday the actual job fair? Or will interviews and potential letters of intent be given out on Friday?
abstir6

Postby Johncn » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:48 pm

abstir6 wrote:With the job fair being Friday and Saturday... is Friday just an expo to meet and greet and Saturday the actual job fair? Or will interviews and potential letters of intent be given out on Friday?

If you are referring to the ATP Anchorage Job Fair, the actual job fair is on Friday and Saturday. Registration and candidate packet pick up begins late on Thursday afternoon most years. The doors open for the job fair, and everyone is off and running. Each district meets candidates at their table, and then schedules interviews with those that interest them on their own.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Next

Return to ATP Forum