Just Got Hired!!!!

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Just Got Hired!!!!

Postby jkathleenlorraine » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:13 pm

On a last ditch effort, fulfill my dreams whim I applied to my first choice school district and got hired! I am currently living in Virginia and am working my tail off to make sure all my paperwork goes through to transfer my license/get certified in Alaska! Does anyone have any tips or words of wisdom for me as I go through this journey?
jkathleenlorraine

Re: Just Got Hired!!!!

Postby Johncn » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:08 am

Hi,

Congrats on your new position. I would recommend that you read the details of the Alaska EED certification forms and packet. You are under a tight timeline, as you can't teach without certification (or get paid as anything but a sub), and your district will want you to be there quickly. It is a SINGLE packet process - meaning they want every piece of paper in the same envelope, including your Institutional Recommendation signed by an official at the school you did your pre-service certification program at. Your district will probably tell EED you have been hired, and they will then expedite things. But, your part of the process needs to be flawless.

I would, if already certified in Virginia, check with EED to see by email and phone what your fastest and most efficient route would be. You have a special circumstance, and time and accuracy are very important factors.

http://www.eed.state.ak.us/TeacherCertification/

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum