Looking to return to AK

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Looking to return to AK

Postby mbrown108 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:28 am

Hey all, I am a National Board Certified Teacher in Adolescent Literacy, currently working as the Director of Training for AmeriCorps NCCC. I would like to return to Alaska (taught there 2008-2010) in preferably an administrative role, but also wouldn't mind teaching. I am also certified in Secondary Social Studies. The hubby is certified in Math and Science and currently working as the Headmaster of a private school. If you have or know of anything available that might fit the bill, please drop us a line. Thanks, Mindy
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:21 am

Re: Looking to return to AK

Postby Bushteachers » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:03 pm

Look into openings with Iditarod Area School district. I doubt an administrator position will be found this late, but there are still jobs out there. I am almost positive that IASD has zero math teachers at the moment.
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 12:36 pm

Re: Looking to return to AK

Postby Johncn » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:24 am


The first thing I would recommend is to make sure your ATP Applitrack file is up to date for you and your husband. Any files not active in the last year will be deactivated manually by ATP a bit later this month. They do it every August, so log in and update now to avoid becoming invisible. ;-)

In addition, if you were an Alaska certified teacher in the recent past, check on your Alaska certification. This is especially true so close to school opening. National Board Certification is great, but on its own, it will not allow you to teach in Alaska. ;-) It all depends on your certification status when you left, and what steps you've taken to maintain or update your Alaska certificate.

There is a big difference in what steps are required for those who let initial, short-term certificates expire, and those who have expired or soon-to-expire longer-term ("Professional", five year) certificates. In fact, some teachers who do a couple of years in Alaska, and leave without converting their "Initial" one or two year cert into a more permanent type of certificate have significant issues getting re-certified. A "continuation" can only be obtained if the Initial was obtained with the last few years.

From Alaska EED:


If the unmet requirements for an expired Initial certificate have been satisfied, an individual may use this form to request the continuation of the certificate. Only expired Initial certificates that were issued less than three years ago are eligible for a continuation request.

If your longer-term certificate has not expired, you can get a "renewal", and can teach. If, however, your longer-term certificate has expired, you will need to apply for "reinstatement", and can't teach until that is taken care of with EED.


I don't know what the case is with your situation, but I'd go to the Alaska Teacher Certification page, and search your names using their web portal to make sure you are good to go.

Good luck, and hope this helps.

User avatar
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:05 am

Return to ATP Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests