Is It Too Late for This School Year?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Is It Too Late for This School Year?

Postby Noble » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Hello again Gang,

I thought I was too late in the game to teach in 2015-2016, so decided to wait until May 2016 and attend the Anchorage job fair. My certification application is set, but I can't take the teacher competency exam until September 11, 2015.

I realize I can't be certified until my application is fully approved. Am I correct in assuming, in spite of the several e-mails I have received recently from districts that read my ATP registration, that there is no way to be hired contingent on taking the teacher competency exam?

Thanks.

Noble
Noble

Re: Anyone Applying for Iditarod Area School District?

Postby marymatt718 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Hey Noble.
The best resource is ALWAYS the Alaska EED, specifically the Certification Office folks. They are absolutely awesome at returning calls and emails. Call them and talk to them about your certification issues. You REALLY do get to talk to a caring human being. (Don't get me started on the horrors of the Texas Education Agency who had a form I needed for 18 months, and I finally had to go to Austin IN PERSON to be told, "we stopped doing that six months ago," to which I replied, "you've had this freaking form for 18 freaking months ! :x Now sign it, wench, or I won't have a job come December, and I will go see the freaking governor about this :evil: if I have to!" or something equally as vehement, but with fewer colorful terms!)

Ahem... :? ...what I'm trying to say is that the Alaska EED certification folks are some of the nicest, most helpful people ever, and before you totally give up on this year, you should give them a call.

{I answered your PM, I hope you got it. I couldn't tell if it went through or not...if it didn't the gist of my answer is no, absolutely not, so keep at it.}
marymatt718

Re: Is It Too Late for This School Year?

Postby Johncn » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:10 am

I thought I was too late in the game to teach in 2015-2016, so decided to wait until May 2016 and attend the Anchorage job fair. My certification application is set, but I can't take the teacher competency exam until September 11, 2015.

Noble,

Do you have certification in another state, or have you completed an accredited pre-service preparation teacher preparation program, and have everything BUT the Praxis / Basic Competency testing done? If so, your situation may be one that is very much worth pursuing for this year.

As MaryMatt says, EED is the best source of advice regarding your specific situation. They are really, really busy this time of year. I would send an email in the morning with as much detail about what you HAVE done so far (courses / program completed, other certs in other states and whether or not your application packet includes the all important Institutional Recommendation), and do a follow up phone call

The long and the short of it is that you DO need to be certified in order to teach the first day. But, you may not need to have the testing done prior to that first day of work in some certain circumstances. Nobody here can really give you the advice you need, though, so contact Alaska EED as soon as is practical.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Re: Is It Too Late for This School Year?

Postby Noble » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Thanks John.
Noble

Return to ATP Forum