Anyone Applying for Iditarod Area School District?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Anyone Applying for Iditarod Area School District?

Postby Bushteachers » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:41 pm

Mary Matt has spoke the virtues of Togiak (and I have to agree with her, though I've never been there). I'd like to put another promotion out there. IASD has some openings in their district at various sites. The last three years we spent time in the district and absolutely loved the students and our village. If you are thinking about applying, I recommend you do. I'd be more than happy to discuss the openings with you.*

*We left because of budget cuts.
Bushteachers

Re: Anyone Applying for Iditarod Area School District?

Postby Betty Walters » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks for posting this message. No one says it better than someone who has spent time in a district or a specific site. Your encouragement to others who are interested in Iditarod School District (or even other places you may have taught, lived or visited) will benefit from your experiences. There are many districts still hiring teachers and administrators so keep those words of wisdom flowing.

Betty Walters
Alaska Statewide Mentor Project
Betty Walters

Postby marymatt718 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:20 pm

But if you teach Kindergarten or first grade, apply to Togiak FIRST... ;)

( I've said it before and I'll say it again, :D I am TOTALLY shameless!)
marymatt718

Postby Bushteachers » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:12 am

marymatt718 wrote:But if you teach Kindergarten or first grade, apply to Togiak FIRST... ;)

( I've said it before and I'll say it again, :D I am TOTALLY shameless!)

You have nothing to worry about. Lol. All upper
Grade positions or generalist. Most of their positions are small schools (15 kids or less).
IASD had major budget issues with funding. Heck, they were on the news. Couldn't fully fund staffing until late.
I'm not sure how many positions they will hire for but I do know the sites.
Bushteachers

Postby michaelgens » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:29 am

Hi, I recently accepted a position in the Iditarod School District (in Grayling) and was wondering if you could provide me with some info as to what I should expect? I'm a New Hampshire native and this will be my first Alaska experience, so it's a rather daunting logistical process.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Mike
michaelgens

Postby Bushteachers » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:34 am

michaelgens wrote:Hi, I recently accepted a position in the Iditarod School District (in Grayling) and was wondering if you could provide me with some info as to what I should expect? I'm a New Hampshire native and this will be my first Alaska experience, so it's a rather daunting logistical process.

Any info would be greatly appreciated,
Mike

First I would like to say congratulations on a job!!

You will be going to a site that will have a pretty good staff. I am almost positive three of the four are returning and the PT is a GREAT guy! that is changing the climate at that school.
I'm assuming you will be teaching MS/HS stuff?
Has anyone contacted you from the school? If not, send me your contact info and I will get it to someone at the school for you.
There is teacher housing there, but may be full. If it is, you will have to find a place in the village and find out what the going rate for rent is. Try to find something with a TOYO and not just wood. Wood will be hard to get and expensive.

It will get cold. But you may be early enough to not buy until you get a few paychecks under your belt. Are you bring a family? or just you?
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum