Inexpensive lodging in Bethel.

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Inexpensive lodging in Bethel.

Postby ethetedave » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:09 pm

Hello and thank you in advance.

Does anyone have any info/advice about the best-most affordable lodging in Bethel-for one night. I have been their recently, but it was set up by the district and I have called many places recently. I just thought someone might have a nugget or pearl of wisdom regarding a reasonable place for ONE night.

Thank you

Bush Teacher
ethetedave

Re: Inexpensive lodging in Bethel.

Postby marymatt718 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:36 pm

I wish I could tell you the website, but I don't know the specifics. I can tell you that a friend of mine and his wife do couch-surfing. They have even found someone willing to let them sleep on the couch (though often a spare bed in a spare bedroom) in Dillingham. You might try to Google the term and try searching some couch-surfing websites.
Good luck.
marymatt718

Postby Bushteachers » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:58 pm

ethetedave wrote:Hello and thank you in advance.

Does anyone have any info/advice about the best-most affordable lodging in Bethel-for one night. I have been their recently, but it was set up by the district and I have called many places recently. I just thought someone might have a nugget or pearl of wisdom regarding a reasonable place for ONE night.

Thank you

Bush Teacher

Have you thought of contacting the school district. I know some districts will allow you to rent a night. Of course it'll probably be on the floor or a mat. Normally that rate is fairly affordable.
Bushteachers

Postby Johncn » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:35 am

Hi,

Glad you asked this, as I meant to mention that most hotels in Alaska will have a different rate for school districts / government employees. Ask for the district rate in Bethel...mention the district you work for, and chances are very good they have a discount staff get. You may get it, or you may not. If on your way to report for work, that's work-related (kind of), and most Anchorage hotels will have a district / Bush resident rate if you ask for it. They rarely ask for ID, or a PO number. Now, it may not be much difference in peak blue hair season (June, July and August) in Anchorage, but it can be REALLY discounted in the winter. The rates in Bethel may not fluctuate as much as Anchorage, but it is a busy regional hub.

Sorry, but I don't know Bethel well enough to make a specific recommendation. I have stayed at the Long House, and it was fine. I think it was about $180 or so?

Good luck,

John
Johncn

Postby Betty Walters » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi Bush Teacher,

The website someone is suggesting may be airb+b. Check the references, reviews, etc. People in Alaska really like that website for travel just about anywhere in state and around the globe! There are also several B+Bs in Bethel but they are not inexpensive. Take John C's advice and be sure to say that you are an incoming teacher in case there is a discount. Sites in Lower Kuskokwin SD, Kashunamiut SD, Lower Yukon SD and Yupiit SD all connect from Bethel so you may want to check with your specific district to see if they have any places that they know and would recommend. Email often works best at this time of the year but always leave a phone number if you leave a phone message as you want a response. In the past I know that GRR8 Bear B+B was accessed by teachers as I believe the owner is a retired LKSD teacher. Bentley's is a boarding house and did provide dinner i boarding style in the past and may have room. Long House (small hotel) has a small restaurant attached so that too is a plus although the AC Supermarket is right in the middle of town. Another place to check may be Kuskokwim College (a campus of the University of Alaska System) as they are used to having visitors, statewide staff, and consultants all the time so they likely have a list of places they suggest. It is a very busy time for all the aforementioned districts so you will likely have a good number of new and returning teachers in and out of the area and local air terminals.

Have fun planning your travel.

Betty Walters
Alaska Statewide Mentor Project
Betty Walters

Return to ATP Forum