Atka

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Atka

Postby MsMcAdow » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:11 am

I'm trying my hardest to find any information about Atka schools online and I can't seem to find anything! I'm looking to see if they have any title I, any need of science teachers, ANYTHING! Help? :roll:
MsMcAdow

Re: Atka

Postby marymatt718 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Hello Ms.M
To find out if they are a Title 1 school, look them up (can do this by state) in the Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory. It's maintained by studentaid.gov (I think) and lists all the schools that are Title 1 and, therefore, eligible for the student loan forgiveness program. Apologies, but I don't have the exact linf. However, if you Google "teacher loan forgiveness" or "Teacher Cancellation Low Income Directory," you should be able to find it and look up the school you're interested in, again, by state.
God luck
marymatt718

Postby MsMcAdow » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Thank you for the help! I know about the website, but I don't know what schools or regions are in Atka and beating my head against google didn't seem to help. :/ do you happen to know where I might find that information?
MsMcAdow

Postby marymatt718 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:38 pm

Try giving the Alaska EED folks a call. They are not your typical state education agency (Lord, Texas has the WORST helpful education agency EVER! :twisted: ), but you can ACTUALLY speak to REAL HUMAN BEINGS there and human beings that WANT to be helpful! It is a TOTALLY amazing experience. :o If you call and leave a message, they actually return your phone calls :shock: !
Amazing, but true.
Good luck!
marymatt718

Postby marymatt718 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:13 am

Hello Ms.M
I just found them on Wikipedia, so the accuracy might be a little questionable, but according to Wikipedia, Atka is in the Aleutian Region School District and the K-12 school there is the Yakov E. Netsvetov School. If there are only 61 people there (as of the last census) the school may have trouble keeping the 10 children necessary to keep the school open, so I think you still may need to ring up the EED.
mm718
marymatt718

Postby MsMcAdow » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:33 am

Thank you guys so much! :D you're all so helpful!
MsMcAdow

Postby Johncn » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:02 am

Hello,

Atka is definitely part of Aleutian Region School District. They used to have three schools, but one is now closed due to lack of enrollment. The open schools are, according to the Alaska Department of Education's website:

Alaska EED Rolodex Entry

http://education.alaska.gov/DOE_Rolodex/SchoolCalendar/Home/SchoolsList?districtId=4

Atka: 12 students (grades K-12)
Adak: 25 students (grades K-12)

A quick Google search returned the Aleutian Region School District website:

ARSD Website
http://www.aleutregion.org/

According to their website, for the year that just ended ARSD had three certified staff members at Adak, and two at Atka.

Their superintendent is Joe Beckford, and his contact information is jbeckford@aleutregion.org.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Betty Walters » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:58 am

Ms McAdow,

I was going to post the district info for you but I see that John C has beat me to it. Ha. Good information for you.

MaryMatt718 has also posted relevant info.

As you can see there is a small school at Atka. If you are a science teacher, you may wish to look across the state as well as there is likely a very small staff at Adak.

Good luck in your search.

( Oh....and Happy Father's Day to John C.)

Betty Walters
Betty Walters

Return to ATP Forum