Teacher Housing at Selawik

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Teacher Housing at Selawik

Postby lpetersen1 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:51 am

I won't be seeing my new home until late July but would like to know how far the apartments are from school; from the village, etc. Also, I am planning to bring my 2 four-year old red heelers. What kinds of winter wear do I need to get for them - booties, jackets, etc.? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Lee Ann
Lpetersen1
lpetersen1

Re: Teacher Housing at Selawik

Postby marymatt718 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:41 am

Hey Lee Ann,
Congratulations on Selawik. The Vice Principal from my school, Michael Lee, has just finished his internship and is moving up to your school to be Vice Principal there. Our horrible loss is your terrific gain. He is awesome! I know he is shopping for a good Canada Goose jacket because Selawik is much colder in the winter than here in the Bristol Bay region.

As for your dogs, a set of booties might be nice, but unless you're going to have them out a long time, you can probably clean their feet really well when you come in from walking them. Booties aren't THAT expensive, so having them on hand will not break you. I do have coats for my two deerhounds, but I found that once we got from Texas to Alaska, their coats started growing thicker and longer naturally. They were bred for hunting deer in the climate of Scotland, so I really shouldn't have been so surprised. Your heelers, if I remember the breed correctly, have short, thick hair. You might find their coats get thicker also, but even in that case, a raincoat with a little insulation might be helpful.

When I was about to make this move, I asked a lot of these same questions, so you might also check out the archived forum (which was the current forum when I moved up here) with a keyword search or two. That's where I got all my dog-related questions answered. This probably hasn't helped much, but maybe a bit. I can tell you, from personal experience, that you might also want to have some kind of canine first aid kit with you because very few villages have vets, and Selawik is at least 2 plane rides from Anchorage and a vet's office. I have wraps, gauze, Benadryl, baby aspirin, bath wipes, some "Elizabethan" collars, things like that in mine. Your regular home vet can give you some tips on what to have on hand. If you can't find the stuff he/she recommends in a local pet supply store, try Drs. Foster and Smith, on online pet supply place. They are the Amazon of pet supplies.

I wish I could tell you more about housing, but Mike only mentioned his principal residence, and not the regular housing. I have to send him a note soon so I'll ask him to check this forum if he has time this summer. I know he is leaving the lower 48 and going up soon, sometime in July, so you may be able to get his email through the NWA district office. I think I mentioned that he is an awesome guy, and I'm sure he will help you any way he can. (We are all completely bummed about losing him; he was the heart and soul of our school.) In the meantime, try emailing the Human Resources department. Your HR guy is Terry Martin at tmartin@nwarctic.org. They should have some kind of new teacher packet they send out, or at least they can put you in touch with someone. At the very least, they could tell you the school emails of some of the returning teachers that you could contact for information. That's what I did my first year. I was replacing the science teacher, and I found she was extremely helpful with information on the village, my housing, and the science lab.

Good luck in Selawik! I already know you're going to love it there, because our Mr. Lee is there.
Donna M
marymatt718

Re: Teacher Housing at Selawik

Postby lpetersen1 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks Donna. I guess I am anxious because I signed my contract yesterday and realized I really don't know more than I've read --- although there are some really interesting websites and videos available. Then, of course, the district I had originally thought I wanted called to invite me to interview, and I didn't feel a bit guilty declining because I know I've made a good choice.

I will look up Drs Foster and Smith today. I've already purchased a couple of Rubbermaid tubs and my favorite "100 mile an hour (Duct) tape" at Walmart, along with some household basics. Your suggestion of a 1st aid kit for the dogs I will take up next.

I will look forward to meeting your Mr. Lee when I come north.
Thanks again.
Lee Ann
Lpetersen1
lpetersen1

Return to ATP Forum