Moving to Kodiak Island

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Moving to Kodiak Island

Postby angelica1224 » Thu May 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Hello Everyone!
Well the dream is finally coming together! It's turning out better than I imagined and we are so excited! We are moving up to Kodiak Island this summer from Arizona, mid July probably. We don't have much stuff, no furniture or stuff like that, but we do have stuff we will be needing to get there. I've searched the forums but can't seem to get a definite answer from someone so hoping I might find the answer here. So a few questions....

1. The ferry is BOOKED up until September for a vehicle. This is how we planned to get up there. We will only be taking one vehicle and we could drive through Canada but we can't. And here's why. Canada won't allow us to take certain ammo or firearms through. We've looked at freight but they drive through Canada too. How do we get these items to Kodiak without them going through Canada? Can someone suggest a specific freight company? Barge? Anything? (please don't say mail it because we can't. We've looked into that option already ;) )

2.Any recommendations as to what might be the best option to get there in general? It would be my husband, myself, and our 14 mo daughter. Any suggestions would be great! Drive, fly, ship the car....etc.

3. What would you say would be some "Must have" items for moving to Kodiak? It's not the bush but still a pretty isolated area. Anything that we should get in the lower 48 that might be extra expensive at the Safeway or Walmart there?

4. Any words of wisdom? :D

Thanks!!!!
angelica1224

Re: Moving to Kodiak Island

Postby Bushteachers » Thu May 28, 2015 9:03 pm

angelica1224 wrote:Hello Everyone!
Well the dream is finally coming together! It's turning out better than I imagined and we are so excited! We are moving up to Kodiak Island this summer from Arizona, mid July probably. We don't have much stuff, no furniture or stuff like that, but we do have stuff we will be needing to get there. I've searched the forums but can't seem to get a definite answer from someone so hoping I might find the answer here. So a few questions....

1. The ferry is BOOKED up until September for a vehicle. This is how we planned to get up there. We will only be taking one vehicle and we could drive through Canada but we can't. And here's why. Canada won't allow us to take certain ammo or firearms through. We've looked at freight but they drive through Canada too. How do we get these items to Kodiak without them going through Canada? Can someone suggest a specific freight company? Barge? Anything? (please don't say mail it because we can't. We've looked into that option already ;) )

2.Any recommendations as to what might be the best option to get there in general? It would be my husband, myself, and our 14 mo daughter. Any suggestions would be great! Drive, fly, ship the car....etc.

3. What would you say would be some "Must have" items for moving to Kodiak? It's not the bush but still a pretty isolated area. Anything that we should get in the lower 48 that might be extra expensive at the Safeway or Walmart there?

4. Any words of wisdom? :D

Thanks!!!!

You can mail rifles to yourself. Not ammo and not handguns, but if you can locate a FFL in anchorage the handguns can be shipped. Small fee. Normally around $25. Also you can take rifles and shotguns through Canada but not assault rifles. And I believe up to 5k rounds of ammo can be driven. Have you looked into barge companies instead of the ferry? AK Logistics out of Seattle hits Kodiak I believe. I'll double check.
Bushteachers

Postby Bushteachers » Thu May 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Just to let you know. I've mailed 7 rifles this past week. 2 of them were the dreaded black plastic rifles too.
Bushteachers

Postby Bushteachers » Thu May 28, 2015 9:08 pm

Another option would to be to fly. You can carry your guns and ammo, though check ammo restrictions with different carriers. Alaska has a very friendly firearm policy. You don't have to bring up all your ammo either. You can always being up a few hundred rounds per gun and buy more once you get here. If you fly, pay someone to bring the car in September.
Bushteachers

Postby BronwynH » Sun May 31, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi!

I just wanted to say hello. We're moving to Kodiak this summer too - booked on the ferry for July 5th. Where will you be teaching? I'm at the high school.

We had lots of questions about Kodiak and Betty Walters has been a godsend for us. She's one of the board moderators and an administrator with the Alaska State Mentor Project. She knows everything about everything and everyone in Kodiak and (I suspect) in the entire state of Alaska. Betty is wonderful, patient and kind - definitely drop her an email!

Wishing you all the best with your move,
Bronwyn Hack
BronwynH

Return to ATP Forum