Flights

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Flights

Postby tnuts20 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:46 pm

My roommate and I are planning on flying to Anchorage on July 21st. We would like to buy supplies, and then go to the village before we go to Barrow for the orientation. I am looking at flights on Ravn Alaska. What would be a good day to fly out to our village, and then have the detract arrange for flight to Barrow. The flights that I am looking at from Anchorage to Atqasuk at almost a 1000. I just need travel advice. This is my first time doing this.
tnuts20

Re: Flights

Postby Bushteachers » Tue May 26, 2015 4:40 pm

tnuts20 wrote:My roommate and I are planning on flying to Anchorage on July 21st. We would like to buy supplies, and then go to the village before we go to Barrow for the orientation. I am looking at flights on Ravn Alaska. What would be a good day to fly out to our village, and then have the detract arrange for flight to Barrow. The flights that I am looking at from Anchorage to Atqasuk at almost a 1000. I just need travel advice. This is my first time doing this.

First make sure your district will fly you from your village to Barrow. They should but one never knows. Also make sure you will have access to teacher housing. Sometimes districts use teacher housing for other employees.
As far as what day? My advise is cheapest day.
Bushteachers

Postby schneidler » Thu May 28, 2015 9:57 pm

The flights are probably all the same price, right? That's usually how Ravn works, at least until the last week or two before the date of travel. bushteachers is certainly right, I would ask you principal a few questions including 1) will NSBSD cover the cost to fly you to Barrow for the inservice (probably), 2) is housing available and ready for you, 3) who will be there to give you a ride or at minimum give you a key to your housing and your classroom, 4) what is the phone number for this person, 5) who they suggest you fly with - there may be more than 1 option like a different scheduled flight, or a chartered small plane (though probably not in your case - distances are so far up there). Then make sure you call that local person ahead of time with a heads up and to introduce yourself, like now or as soon as you have your tickets. Then another call a couple days ahead of time is a good idea. Hopefully you will have a cell phone that works in your village (probably gci) so that when the plane lands and you don't know where to go you can call that person again and say "Here we are!"

I think its great you want to get there early. It stinks to be brand new to the village, and often brand new to teaching in general, and only have 24 hours or whatever between the end of the district-wide inservice and the first day of school at your village. I've seen that a few times and its ridiculous, and doesn't lead to good results for anyone. You can get your apartment and classroom set up in a non-frantic way, and actually walk the village and meet people in a context other than the new guy at the school. Maybe do some fishing, go to a feast, berry picking, etc. Some genuine interest in local culture can often go a long way - be brave and try the food. : - )
schneidler

Postby Bushteachers » Fri May 29, 2015 12:55 am

Good advise above me.
Reason why I do recommend calling and checking this past year I showed back early with my daughter and our house was being worked on. No floor downstairs. Maintenance at the district level just assumed we'd return just before inservice which was held in our village. Then my wife had to go into town with our son for a medical concern. She couldn't get back to village so we bought a ticket to DO village on penair and figured she'd catch a seat on the charter bringing Teacher's over. They made us pay for a seat. Even though the charter had two empty seats. Lol. Gotta love it sometimes.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum