Noob Teacher-Contract question

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Noob Teacher-Contract question

Postby Planetwalker » Mon May 18, 2015 9:05 am

HA HA no really, I am a new (non-traditional) teacher. About 40yrs. old.

I've had a few interviews in 3 completely different school districts. 1 high paying yet terrible environment, one medium pay and medium environment, and 1 low pay but sweet environment.
I am very interested in the medium pay/medium environment spot, but I was thinking of trying to negotiate for more pay or better benefits or better incentives.

Is a new teacher allowed to try to negotiate up in Alaska?
Would that be considered unprofessional by HR people?

I don't want to ruin any chance for a great spot in a village, but it would also be great to get the best deal that I can. I plan on sticking around for awhile. No 1 yr and i'm gone attitude from me. I'm in it to win it with a small village that needs me.
Can I negotiate for my commitment?

Thanx ahead of time for responses.
~planet~
Changes come from the Power of Many, but only when the many come together to form that which is invincible. The Power of One. - Bryce Courtenay
Planetwalker

Re: Noob Teacher-Contract question

Postby Bushteachers » Mon May 18, 2015 12:21 pm

Planetwalker wrote:HA HA no really, I am a new (non-traditional) teacher. About 40yrs. old.

I've had a few interviews in 3 completely different school districts. 1 high paying yet terrible environment, one medium pay and medium environment, and 1 low pay but sweet environment.
I am very interested in the medium pay/medium environment spot, but I was thinking of trying to negotiate for more pay or better benefits or better incentives.

Is a new teacher allowed to try to negotiate up in Alaska?
Would that be considered unprofessional by HR people?

I don't want to ruin any chance for a great spot in a village, but it would also be great to get the best deal that I can. I plan on sticking around for awhile. No 1 yr and i'm gone attitude from me. I'm in it to win it with a small village that needs me.
Can I negotiate for my commitment?

Thanx ahead of time for responses.
~planet~

First, take it one year at a time. Many people want to stick around for awhile, but it isn't always possible. Get through your first year. Do not tell the kids you are staying forever, until you know for sure...Teacher retention in the bush is pretty low and it isn't for everyone.
However, with the right attitude and the ability to understand that each village is unique, you can stay around for awhile.

Now, as far as negotiating your salary...There is a negotiated agreement that the districts union has negotiated with the board. Your salary will be based off that. You won't get paid more than any other teacher that is coming in with similar experience. There are often times perks (moving allowance, etc...) that may not be in the NA, and the district may not tell about. I'd ask if there is a moving allowance.

May I ask what districts you are looking at? You can PM me. I know our district is hiring a few positions.
Bushteachers

Postby Planetwalker » Mon May 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Ok. Great. Such helpful information.
Changes come from the Power of Many, but only when the many come together to form that which is invincible. The Power of One. - Bryce Courtenay
Planetwalker

Postby schneidler » Mon May 18, 2015 4:11 pm

Negotiating for salary is pretty unheard of, I believe, in this field. Everyone moves in lockstep based on years of experience and education. It is a pretty inefficient system in that you have poor teachers making the same salary as some of the best teachers. Ideally we would use incentives (salary) to induce the best to stay and get even better, and use incentives to induce the worst to improve or leave, quickly. Like in most of corporate America. But that is not how education in America works for the most part. Not that corporate America always gets it right! But my opinion is that this is yet another area in which the education field could use an overhaul.
schneidler

Postby Planetwalker » Tue May 19, 2015 4:16 am

cool and thanks. just wondering.
Planetwalker

Return to ATP Forum