Moving to Hyder!!!

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Moving to Hyder!!!

Postby CSD2 » Wed May 13, 2015 8:04 pm

Greetings,

I received an intent to hire from the school in Hyder. My family and I are extremely excited to start this adventure. While planning our move, we thought of a few questions that I hope the members of this forum can help with.
We will be moving this summer, but was wondering if we will need to upgrade our vehicle to a 4 wheel drive for the winters. If not, what do you recommend? Studded tires? Chains?
Are there any recommendations about a pediatrician in the Southeast region?
What is the best way to get fresh produce? I have read on this forum about bush orders from Fred Myers and Sam's Club, is there any other options?

Thank you in advance for all of your advice.
CSD2

Re: Moving to Hyder!!!

Postby Bushteachers » Wed May 13, 2015 8:16 pm

CSD2 wrote:Greetings,

I received an intent to hire from the school in Hyder. My family and I are extremely excited to start this adventure. While planning our move, we thought of a few questions that I hope the members of this forum can help with.
We will be moving this summer, but was wondering if we will need to upgrade our vehicle to a 4 wheel drive for the winters. If not, what do you recommend? Studded tires? Chains?
Are there any recommendations about a pediatrician in the Southeast region?
What is the best way to get fresh produce? I have read on this forum about bush orders from Fred Myers and Sam's Club, is there any other options?

Thank you in advance for all of your advice.

I know very little of SE. I'm sure their winters are milder than farther north so I am sure front wheel drive with studded tires should be fine.
I think you will be limited on your pediatrician, if there is one.
You can look into full circle, but your best bet will be local and Fred's bush orders. I think the Sam option you have to go in, but not sure. We don't do SAMs.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum