Parent of a new teacher

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Parent of a new teacher

Postby brutalwinter » Wed May 13, 2015 2:16 pm

My daughter just graduated from college and has been offered and has accepted a teaching position in Alaska......She is super excited....she will be teaching high school English.....I guess I just wanted to know if anyone has any advice for the parent of a teacher in Alaska. She will be teaching in a small village.
brutalwinter

Re: Parent of a new teacher

Postby Bushteachers » Wed May 13, 2015 3:50 pm

brutalwinter wrote:My daughter just graduated from college and has been offered and has accepted a teaching position in Alaska......She is super excited....she will be teaching high school English.....I guess I just wanted to know if anyone has any advice for the parent of a teacher in Alaska. She will be teaching in a small village.

Tell her congratulations. Where? And what is considered small? One year at the SPED conference people were talking about a small village, but it had 500 people. That's large in my district. We have 4/7villages in my district have less than 100 people.
Bushteachers

Re: Parent of a new teacher

Postby Johncn » Wed May 13, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi,

Congratulations on her new position!

I would say that she can find out lots of useful information here, and on our main website (http://www.alaskateacher.org/) This entire site is devoted to helping teachers answer questions they have about moving to Alaska for the purpose of living and working in (mostly) small, rural communities. Do you (or does she) have specific questions? We can't really respond with some direction.

Many of us were new once, too, and we would certainly welcome her to become a member and ask whatever questions she may have.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum