Instead of full circle...

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Instead of full circle...

Postby Bushteachers » Wed May 13, 2015 1:22 pm

I want to share with all the bush teachers. We didn't discover this little gem until this school year and I think it was the best thing since sliced bread.
Fred Meyer's Bush Orders.

I love my veggies, and after eating canned and dehydrated veggies for the first two years in the bush, I was ready for fresh. I had looked into Full Circle, but after seeing how many veggies came in and the cost to get those veggies to my village, it just wasn't worth it to me. I was looking at $50 shipping for the medium box.
I noticed the Fred Meyers boxes at the post office and inquired about them. Everyone that used their service loved it. So we took a chance. $9 for 5 dozen eggs was hard to turn down. So far this year we have ordered 65 dozen eggs and lost a total of 4.5 dozen (one order we lost 3.5 dozen when a new employee forgot to bubble wrap). The mistake order was replaced though.

I just received my last order for the year and everything arrived great. I decided to share the order cost:
2 heads of cabbage (7.2lb)
2lbs yellow squash
1.5 lbs zucchini
2 cucumbers
12 lbs of yukon golds
5 avocados
bundle of cilantro
2 broccoli crowns
bundle of kale
romaine lettuce
4 bunches of elephant garlic
1 package of cherry tomatoes
2 lbs plantains
large package of baby spinach

Total cost was $78 with a $10 handling fee (well worth it) and $31 shipping cost (priority mail, left on monday arrived on tuesday)
There was about 40 lbs total weight.

Before you sign up for Full Circle, check it out. I ordered Veggies all year (even in the winter) and the packaging is phenomenal (other than that one order, which they replaced).
Bushteachers

Re: Instead of full circle...

Postby schneidler » Mon May 18, 2015 3:33 pm

Wow, thanks for the great info! My wife and I have been using full circle for years and I'm always on the lookout for something quality that is cheaper. I have a question about the cost. You said

Total cost was $78 with a $10 handling fee (well worth it) and $31 shipping cost (priority mail, left on monday arrived on tuesday)

I wasn't sure what you meant exactly. Could you clarify? I see 2 likely interpretations:
1. The groceries were $37, and the handling fee and the shipping cost pushed the total to $78. This would be a really good deal.
2. The cost of all the food was $78, PLUS $10 handling and $31 shipping, meaning a total of $119.

Thanks! -pete in kasigluk
schneidler

Postby Bushteachers » Mon May 18, 2015 9:33 pm

schneidler wrote:Wow, thanks for the great info! My wife and I have been using full circle for years and I'm always on the lookout for something quality that is cheaper. I have a question about the cost. You said

I wasn't sure what you meant exactly. Could you clarify? I see 2 likely interpretations:
1. The groceries were $37, and the handling fee and the shipping cost pushed the total to $78. This would be a really good deal.
2. The cost of all the food was $78, PLUS $10 handling and $31 shipping, meaning a total of $119.

It was $109. The $78 included the $10 fee.
Bushteachers

Postby Bushteachers » Mon May 18, 2015 9:35 pm

schneidler wrote:Wow, thanks for the great info! My wife and I have been using full circle for years and I'm always on the lookout for something quality that is cheaper. I have a question about the cost. You said

If you pull the weekly ad for the store there are sale prices. I also call the produce manager and find out prices on everything I buy. What I enjoy about it, is the fee is small considering I don't have to go in or pack or ship.
Bushteachers

Postby marymatt718 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 am

Thank you Bushteachers!
I am going to try this method. I've been in Togiak for 2 years, and we, luckily, are a delivery hub so we are pretty lucky with our produce, BUT, we get a selection based on what is popular in the village, of course.... what the AC can sell. I did try Full Circle, and found if several of us got together, we could order the largest box and split the cost...most of the cost is shipping anyway, so the bigger the box, the more produce you actually get. Unfortunately, for us and for Full Circle, the boxes came in on Everts Cargo, not one of my favorite companies, so, often, the boxes were crushed or the produce was crushed inside the box from being tossed around so much. Full Circle was really good about giving credit, but it happened so often, that it became ridiculous. Full Circle was losing money and we weren't getting decent produce...all because the cargo company was irresponsible.
I have seen Fred Meyer boxes come in on Grant, the air service that carries the mail to our village, so I believe I will have better luck with getting fresh produce this way. What a great idea. I never even thought to try this method!
Just a thought for those of you who have to use Full Circle, and have a cargo company other than Everts delivering to your village (Yeah, some really bad experiences there; their customer service is THE WORST! Apologies for the vitriol!) get together, order the larger boxes, and split the cost. We found that the largest box could easily be split amongst 4 people, which made our cost between $35 and $45 (depending on any extras we ordered) for a week's worth of organic produce.
Fred Meyer, here I come!
marymatt718

Postby Bushteachers » Wed May 27, 2015 2:17 pm

marymatt718 wrote:Thank you Bushteachers!
I am going to try this method. I've been in Togiak for 2 years, and we, luckily, are a delivery hub so we are pretty lucky with our produce, BUT, we get a selection based on what is popular in the village, of course.... what the AC can sell. I did try Full Circle, and found if several of us got together, we could order the largest box and split the cost...most of the cost is shipping anyway, so the bigger the box, the more produce you actually get. Unfortunately, for us and for Full Circle, the boxes came in on Everts Cargo, not one of my favorite companies, so, often, the boxes were crushed or the produce was crushed inside the box from being tossed around so much. Full Circle was really good about giving credit, but it happened so often, that it became ridiculous. Full Circle was losing money and we weren't getting decent produce...all because the cargo company was irresponsible.
I have seen Fred Meyer boxes come in on Grant, the air service that carries the mail to our village, so I believe I will have better luck with getting fresh produce this way. What a great idea. I never even thought to try this method!
Just a thought for those of you who have to use Full Circle, and have a cargo company other than Everts delivering to your village (Yeah, some really bad experiences there; their customer service is THE WORST! Apologies for the vitriol!) get together, order the larger boxes, and split the cost. We found that the largest box could easily be split amongst 4 people, which made our cost between $35 and $45 (depending on any extras we ordered) for a week's worth of organic produce.
Fred Meyer, here I come!

Just word of advise...

I just had a whole shipment arrive ruined:( LOL!
Not Fred's fault though. I usually place my order on Friday so that they will shop and ship on Monday or Tuesday and arrive by Thursday. I hate chancing it with weekends. Anyways, I placed my last order for the year on a Thursday and figured everything had been arriving the next day so I would be good. I got 2/3 of the boxes on Saturday but the produce box wasn't in the mail. Monday was a holiday. Tuesday morning I went after the plane arrived and the box was ruined. Ravn decided to put the milk and the other box on the plan Saturday, but not the PERISHABLE Food box...

So place order on Friday or Monday.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum