Shipping Household?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Shipping Household?

Postby larksong » Tue May 12, 2015 6:29 am

I'm certified in Special Education and ESOL, plus a couple of other things. In 2012, I packed up my household in a POD and moved to China. (A POD is essentially the trailer for an 18-wheeler.) I've been teaching English to Chinese students since then. I'm ready to go back to The States, but not ready to settle down. I've been trying to find a job in Siberia, but it occurred to me that I could get the climate I want, learn yet another new culture, and still be in an area where people speak English by moving to Alaska. I'm just at the beginning of looking at teaching in the Bush. One question I have is if it's even possible to ship my POD to Alaska. And, if I can get it *to* Alaska, is it gonna be possible to get it to a rural area? Granted, I probably won't need my piano or washer/dryer, but I might want all the tools and materials for the various crafts I do. I have a sense of shipping costs, since I had several boxes of books shipped to me in China. I ended up staying an extra year to justify the shipping costs!

Or should I just go through the POD, pick out what I want, and drive it myself in a U-Haul? From Baltimore. With two dogs. :shock:

Thanks!
larksong

Re: Shipping Household?

Postby Bushteachers » Tue May 12, 2015 8:25 am

larksong wrote:I'm certified in Special Education and ESOL, plus a couple of other things. In 2012, I packed up my household in a POD and moved to China. (A POD is essentially the trailer for an 18-wheeler.) I've been teaching English to Chinese students since then. I'm ready to go back to The States, but not ready to settle down. I've been trying to find a job in Siberia, but it occurred to me that I could get the climate I want, learn yet another new culture, and still be in an area where people speak English by moving to Alaska. I'm just at the beginning of looking at teaching in the Bush. One question I have is if it's even possible to ship my POD to Alaska. And, if I can get it *to* Alaska, is it gonna be possible to get it to a rural area? Granted, I probably won't need my piano or washer/dryer, but I might want all the tools and materials for the various crafts I do. I have a sense of shipping costs, since I had several boxes of books shipped to me in China. I ended up staying an extra year to justify the shipping costs!

Or should I just go through the POD, pick out what I want, and drive it myself in a U-Haul? From Baltimore. With two dogs. :shock:

Thanks!

You can ship the pod, but you may not want to pay the price. Since you are looking at bush positions, unless the village is along the Yukon, you will probably have to fly it in (minimum $5k from Anchorage more than likely). If you find a location on the coast you can barge it from SEA, but you'd be looking at a very nice charge.
Most teacher housing in villages are fully furnished.

Also your price to get anything that size will vary to where you are looking. I'd assume above the arctic circle? You are looking for a different culture. Athebascan? Yupik? Inuit? Inupiak? etc...
Bushteachers

Postby larksong » Wed May 13, 2015 6:49 pm

You can ship the pod, but you may not want to pay the price. Since you are looking at bush positions, unless the village is along the Yukon, you will probably have to fly it in (minimum $5k from Anchorage more than likely). If you find a location on the coast you can barge it from SEA, but you'd be looking at a very nice charge.

Also your price to get anything that size will vary to where you are looking. I'd assume above the arctic circle? You are looking for a different culture. Athebascan? Yupik? Inuit? Inupiak? etc...

Thanks! Looks like a drive to Anchorage with selected items is the best choice, followed by shipping of those items to ... wherever. Road trip!

I really haven't chosen a single location or area that I'd like to end up. I'm also certified in English, 7-12, which seems the credential most in demand in village schools. Among those I hold, anyway. I've found the ATP search function to be quite clunky. For example, I searched for the term "English Language" and got 309 results, most of which had nothing to do with English. Yet when I tried ELL, I got 7 results, only some of which were for English Language Learners. Some positions are posted as elementary/middle/high school teachers, but some are under categories such as Student Services. It makes finding places to apply really difficult. I applied for a position in Yukon Flats, but haven't had a response. And I just keep looking. Advice or tips greatly appreciated!
larksong

Postby Bushteachers » Wed May 13, 2015 7:17 pm

larksong wrote:

Thanks! Looks like a drive to Anchorage with selected items is the best choice, followed by shipping of those items to ... wherever. Road trip!

I really haven't chosen a single location or area that I'd like to end up. I'm also certified in English, 7-12, which seems the credential most in demand in village schools. Among those I hold, anyway. I've found the ATP search function to be quite clunky. For example, I searched for the term "English Language" and got 309 results, most of which had nothing to do with English. Yet when I tried ELL, I got 7 results, only some of which were for English Language Learners. Some positions are posted as elementary/middle/high school teachers, but some are under categories such as Student Services. It makes finding places to apply really difficult. I applied for a position in Yukon Flats, but haven't had a response. And I just keep looking. Advice or tips greatly appreciated!

Ell cert will help, but I haven't met any ELL teachers that strictly teach ELL like down south. Many small schools like multiple certificates mor for their teachers to be HQ in more than one area. I was hired with elementary and SPED, but AK didn't recognize my sped. My first year was sped then I moved into a ELA/SS/SPED position. Middle and high school. Took 4 praxis tests over two school years.

Key is being open to other cultures and the desire to stay. Turn over is very high in the bush.
Bushteachers

Postby larksong » Wed May 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Ell cert will help, but I haven't met any ELL teachers that strictly teach ELL like down south. Many small schools like multiple certificates mor for their teachers to be HQ in more than one area. I was hired with elementary and SPED, but AK didn't recognize my sped. My first year was sped then I moved into a ELA/SS/SPED position. Middle and high school. Took 4 praxis tests over two school years.

Key is being open to other cultures and the desire to stay. Turn over is very high in the bush.

My B.S. and M.Ed. are both in SPED, so I don't foresee a problem there. Except I don't want a SPED job! My endorsements in ESOL, English, and Italian all come from having coursework equivalent to a major. I think that earns HQ status as well, but it varies state to state. In Illinois, I am only a couple of hours from endorsements in Visual Art and Social Science (Psychology), including taking the exams in those areas. I think that's why I really like the idea of teaching in a small school--getting to use all the skills I have and all the knowledge I've accumulated!

My colleagues in China have asked what it would take to get me to stay. The answer is the same as for AK: a husband. :lol:
larksong

Postby Bushteachers » Wed May 13, 2015 8:49 pm

larksong wrote:

My B.S. and M.Ed. are both in SPED, so I don't foresee a problem there. Except I don't want a SPED job! My endorsements in ESOL, English, and Italian all come from having coursework equivalent to a major. I think that earns HQ status as well, but it varies state to state. In Illinois, I am only a couple of hours from endorsements in Visual Art and Social Science (Psychology), including taking the exams in those areas. I think that's why I really like the idea of teaching in a small school--getting to use all the skills I have and all the knowledge I've accumulated!

My colleagues in China have asked what it would take to get me to stay. The answer is the same as for AK: a husband. :lol:

We (wife and I) were looking at china before we came here. Might want to talk with you via email about it.

Alaska only recognizes sped if you have a degree or endorsement. As far as the other stuff, it will make you marketable but smaller villages you might be more of generalist. Matter of fact I can tell you one site that is looking for a generalist right now. Good village too.

When you say small site, what is small to you?
Bushteachers

Postby Bushteachers » Wed May 13, 2015 9:23 pm

Come to think of it, I wouldn't recommend bringing a car all the way to anchorage if you get a job in the bush. Your cost to store vehicle will possibly run more than rental costs. I've never paid more than $20/day during the school year for a rental. In the winter I've gotten full size quad cab trucks for $8/day.
Bushteachers

Postby larksong » Thu May 14, 2015 6:23 am

We (wife and I) were looking at china before we came here. Might want to talk with you via email about it.

Alaska only recognizes sped if you have a degree or endorsement. As far as the other stuff, it will make you marketable but smaller villages you might be more of generalist. Matter of fact I can tell you one site that is looking for a generalist right now. Good village too.

The job I applied for is in a village of 100 people. I'd theoretically be the secondary generalist, teaching 15 or so 7-12 grade students. I'm a hermit most of the time, planning lessons/curriculum, doing crafts, playing with the dogs, and online. As long as I've got good internet, I'm fine. I'm really hoping to start/continue a Drama program wherever I land.
larksong

Postby larksong » Thu May 14, 2015 6:26 am

Bushteachers wrote:Come to think of it, I wouldn't recommend bringing a car all the way to anchorage if you get a job in the bush. Your cost to store vehicle will possibly run more than rental costs. I've never paid more than $20/day during the school year for a rental. In the winter I've gotten full size quad cab trucks for $8/day.

I don't even own a car! If I drive to AK, it will be a rental anyway. I'm learning from trying to get the dogs back to the States, i.e. to the airport in Beijing and then on a flight, that driving is the best way to travel with critters.
larksong

Postby Bushteachers » Thu May 14, 2015 8:12 am

larksong wrote:

The job I applied for is in a village of 100 people. I'd theoretically be the secondary generalist, teaching 15 or so 7-12 grade students. I'm a hermit most of the time, planning lessons/curriculum, doing crafts, playing with the dogs, and online. As long as I've got good internet, I'm fine. I'm really hoping to start/continue a Drama program wherever I land.

I think you have a unique set of skills that should be desirable, but I don't hire:)

Good internet is lacking...it can be good (for Bush Alaska) but more than likely nothing what you are used to.
Bushteachers

Postby kazachka » Fri May 15, 2015 2:58 am

larksong wrote:I'm certified in Special Education and ESOL, plus a couple of other things. In 2012, I packed up my household in a POD and moved to China. (A POD is essentially the trailer for an 18-wheeler.) I've been teaching English to Chinese students since then. I'm ready to go back to The States, but not ready to settle down. I've been trying to find a job in Siberia, but it occurred to me that I could get the climate I want, learn yet another new culture, and still be in an area where people speak English by moving to Alaska. I'm just at the beginning of looking at teaching in the Bush. One question I have is if it's even possible to ship my POD to Alaska. And, if I can get it *to* Alaska, is it gonna be possible to get it to a rural area? Granted, I probably won't need my piano or washer/dryer, but I might want all the tools and materials for the various crafts I do. I have a sense of shipping costs, since I had several boxes of books shipped to me in China. I ended up staying an extra year to justify the shipping costs!

Thanks!

Wow! I would really like to know how you did this and which company you used. Feel free to PM me. When I moved from Wasilla to Moscow in 2005, I used a friend's APO box at the US Embassy and it saved a ton of money. That would have been an option for shipping back to Alaska if she were still here, but she's not. I could use the post if I had to, but wanted to see what other options I'd have aside from bi-annual "stuff" runs over summer and winter holidays. Bi annual "stuff" drops over the course of about a year and a half and the APO was how I got my stuff in. I had a skype interview a couple days ago with Anchorage, but won't know if I got the job til closer to the end of the month (biting fingernails waiting this out hoping for the best).... It was for a position in the target language + social studies-desirable HQ in both. I'm only HQ in the target language but applied anyway and figured that if asked, I'd do the SS praxis. So, we return to the "stuff" issue and if I get lucky and get the job, do I even want to move it ALL in the first year given the very volatile budget situation in many AK school districts now particularly in Anchorage? There have been mass layoffs and it's something to think about. I was RIFed my first year in Fairbanks years ago-not laid off not fired, but cut from 1.0FTE to.6! Back then it just meant I had to work 16 other jobs on the side to pay bills the year I was at .6, but now it means loss of eligibility for health insurance depending on what district you are in which would force me to have to leave because you can't live in the USA without health insurance because care costs are sky high! Yes, my job was back to 1.0FTE after that tough go at .6 and then once I was tenured, I no longer had to stress about it, but I believe now I have to start the tenuring process all over since I've been gone for more than 16 months. Non tenured teachers are the first to be RIFed if there is a RIF. It's just something to consider when moving.
BTW- pods.com doesn't ship to AK. I checked online a couple weeks ago so would need to find out which similar companies do.
kazachka

Postby marymatt718 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Hello larksong!

The drive to Alaska is awesome. Check out my post on "all things Kotzebue" about driving rather than flying to Alaska with dogs. I do store my car in Anchorage. It's $85 a month, and no, it doesn't pay to store a car if the only time you rent a car is in the winter. If you think you will be touring around Alaska in the summer or using a car for any length of time during the tourist season when rental fees are nearly five times the winter rate, storage can be a viable option. I traded my truck in for an SUV when I decided to drive up here with my dogs. I have a Chevy Traverse, which gets decent gas mileage, folds COMPLETELY FLAT in the back when you put all the seats down (not all SUV's do, which can be really uncomfortable to sleep on when they don't) and is the size of a full size bed in the back when all the seats are folded down. I use it when I go to town, and I let other teachers from my school use it as well (the ones I trust). Generally, they change the oil, put Heet in the gas tank in winter, and pretty much keep my car up for me when I can't get to it.

I'm not saying you should buy a car rather than rent one to get here, I'm just saying that it's not such an inconvenience or expense as you might think if you do.

Good luck.
marymatt718

Return to ATP Forum