College Course Requirement

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

College Course Requirement

Postby abstir6 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:55 am

I've got all my paperwork ready to submit for my initial/out of state application.

I do not plan on applying for jobs until the 2016-2017 school year, I am just getting everything done ahead of time so I am ready for the job fairs at the start of 2016.

I would like to get my 6 semester hours done before then, so I am all set.

Can anyone tell me where to find the prices for these classes? I saw the list of approved courses, but is anyone familiar with registering for online classes and stuff via University of Alaska.

Thank you!

Also- when I apply for my out of state, and then finish these 6 credit hours in December hopefully, do I have to fill out all the same forms to transfer to a professional certificate? Or do I just submit the transcripts?

Thank you!
abstir6

Re: College Course Requirement

Postby Johncn » Thu May 07, 2015 7:26 am

Hi,

It's great that you are thinking ahead. However, as others have posted on this topic, it's generally better to wait until you are an Alaska resident to take the classes. You do NOT need to have those courses before getting certified. You have a couple years to do them, the tuition is far cheaper as an Alaska resident with the various organizations that offer them, and your co-workers are likely to have the books from when they took the class. ;-)

If you do want to take them, EED puts out a revised list of the officially approved courses each year. The lists have the contact information and source of each class:

DEED List of Approved Multicutural Courses
https://www.eed.state.ak.us/TeacherCert ... ourses.pdf

DEED List of Approved Alaska Studies Courses
http://www.eed.state.ak.us/teachercerti ... ourses.pdf

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby abstir6 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:32 am

Okay thanks!

I did read a lot of people suggested waiting, I just felt I have the free time to get them done now. But if the cost is a significant difference I will wait.

Thank you!
abstir6

Postby cyclone67 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:51 am

There is another advantage to waiting also. When you are ready to apply for your professional license when the initial runs out they count for the required 6 hours of continued education.
cyclone67

Postby Bushteachers » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:01 pm

cyclone67 wrote:There is another advantage to waiting also. When you are ready to apply for your professional license when the initial runs out they count for the required 6 hours of continued education.

That depends on the district I believe. Or is that only for the credit step increase?
Bushteachers

Postby cyclone67 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Bushteachers wrote:
cyclone67 wrote:There is another advantage to waiting also. When you are ready to apply for your professional license when the initial runs out they count for the required 6 hours of continued education.

That depends on the district I believe. Or is that only for the credit step increase?

That is Alaska wide -- check the EED website. I got my professional license this summer and I used those 6 credits for my required continuing education credits to get the license.
cyclone67

Postby Bushteachers » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:03 pm

That makes sense. I always get those credits confused with the step increase credits. Our previous district didn't give us step increase credit but our current one does.
Bushteachers

Postby Tufgie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Just talked to University of Alaska today, and they indicated that if you are taking only one class that is only 3 credits then you pay in-state tuition prices, even if you live out of state. So one option maybe to take one at a time.
Tufgie

Postby cyclone67 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:21 pm

I took the history course here: http://www.asdn.org/alaska-alive/

The culture course I took through UAF at a culture camp paid for by my district.
cyclone67

Return to ATP Forum