Entertainment/Social Life in a bush community?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Entertainment/Social Life in a bush community?

Postby jamieburgess » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:12 pm

I will be a new administrator in the Yupiit school district (close to Bethel). My family (husband and kids) are staying in Phoenix for the time being until I determine if Alaska is where I need to stay. I am learning that internet is expensive, and so is satellite TV. For those of you with experience living in a housing development provided by your district, is there socializing within the school employees? For example, game nights, etc. Do the administrators socialize with the teachers and other staff or is this a no-no? I will not be a principal or assistant principal. I am not a super social person, but it will be hard to be completely alone without any family members. Any thoughts to share?
jamieburgess

Re: Entertainment/Social Life in a bush community?

Postby cyclone67 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Yes there are plenty of game nights, dinners, sledding and activities. Where I have been there are no rules about fraternizing between teachers and admin. There's also community activities like bingo, dancing, and drumming. Just leave the shop talk at home!
cyclone67

Postby Johncn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:06 am

Hi,

I don't know about the specific school / village you are going to be in, but in general, yes, the school district staff in a village are both co-workers and a social support network. You live (housing is usually a series of district owned apartments or duplexes) and work together. In dry villages, staff members often organize (as the other post says) game nights, poker games, movie nights, watching the football games on TV, dinner parties, and other social events at the teacher housing units. This applies to district level staff, too. You will not feel isolated socially unless you choose to be a recluse. ;-)

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby ElemEducator » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:53 am

There will most likely be plenty of opportunities for you to hang out and socialize with co-workers. We get together once in a while for four wheeler rides, games, bonfires, dinner, etc.

At times, it can be a bit overwhelming working and living around the same people all day everyday, but you tend to get used to it.
ElemEducator

Postby Bushteachers » Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm

jamieburgess wrote:I will be a new administrator in the Yupiit school district (close to Bethel). My family (husband and kids) are staying in Phoenix for the time being until I determine if Alaska is where I need to stay. I am learning that internet is expensive, and so is satellite TV. For those of you with experience living in a housing development provided by your district, is there socializing within the school employees? For example, game nights, etc. Do the administrators socialize with the teachers and other staff or is this a no-no? I will not be a principal or assistant principal. I am not a super social person, but it will be hard to be completely alone without any family members. Any thoughts to share?

All depends on your location. We tried this at our site and it just didn't work out. personality clashes or lack of effort stopped our meetings. Might be b/c of age differences between staff.

I know of others that get together all the time. Don't be afraid to mingle with the community. They love seeing teachers attending events.
Bushteachers

Postby jamieburgess » Sun May 10, 2015 3:00 pm

Thanks Bushteaching! I am aware that my new district has some major challenges ahead. I will be living in Akiachak, not Tuluksak, but I will be visiting that community frequently as part of my responsibilities. I don't have any rose-colored glasses ideas that I will come in and make everything better, but I do hope that working with the new superintendent and principals that I may be able to make some positive changes for the students in the district. I know that there has been a lot of teacher turnover and I know the problems with the amenities in the living quarters in Tuluksak probably was a big part of that - I know the district has placed a priority on not having these problems occur again.

I do appreciate your honesty about your experience - it's always valuable to hear from many individuals - and I appreciate you admit your experience may not be shared with others. I've been in education long enough to know that any leader is admired by some and disliked by others. I view this opportunity as a personal and professional growth experience. Thank you for sharing your expertise!
jamieburgess

Return to ATP Forum