Rural Alaska Needs Teachers With Interests & Hobbies

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Rural Alaska Needs Teachers With Interests & Hobbies

Postby Johncn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi,

Alaska's rural schools are small, isolated and don't have the wealth of outside activities and extracurricular sports that students on the road system have access to in their everyday life - think karate, dance lessons, softball, bowling, little league and so on. Although small, however, rural schools are often very lucky to find teachers who bring with them a passion for a wide variety of sports, hobbies and interests. If the school is supportive, and the teacher stays a while, this sometimes translates into great things for kids.

One of the questions I always asked when I was doing teacher interviews in the Lower 48 is related to this: In a small school and village, are there any sports or extracurricular activities (or hobbies) that you have a passion for, and could see yourself volunteering or working with kids on? You would never believe how often I've heard about an amazing teacher who took kids from a tiny village in a remote village to a high level in some pursuit that may have changed a child's life, or did so for a group of children in rural Alaska.

This story, involving a teacher I once worked with in a different district, seems to be just such a success story. Good for you, Scotty. I know you used to read the ATP Forum. Maybe one of your co-workers will spot this, and pass my congratulations along:

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/out-of-new-archery-program-ruby-sending-two-archers-to/

For those of you new to Alaska, don't be afraid to bring your hobbies or interests, or learn something new. ;-)

Regards,

John
Johncn

Re: Rural Alaska Needs Teachers With Interests & Hobbies

Postby jamieburgess » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:05 pm

I play piano and am thinking about purchasing a digital piano to ship up to my apartment in my village. Would piano lessons be of any interest? I am guessing few if any children will have pianos to play or practice on. Maybe do something with the music teacher in my school? I love needlework and tole painting, but don't know how it would work with shipping supplies being so expensive! I'll be new to the bush, but I'd love to share my interests with anyone else.
jamieburgess

Re: Rural Alaska Needs Teachers With Interests & Hobbies

Postby Bushteachers » Sun May 10, 2015 2:16 pm

jamieburgess wrote:I play piano and am thinking about purchasing a digital piano to ship up to my apartment in my village. Would piano lessons be of any interest? I am guessing few if any children will have pianos to play or practice on. Maybe do something with the music teacher in my school? I love needlework and tole painting, but don't know how it would work with shipping supplies being so expensive! I'll be new to the bush, but I'd love to share my interests with anyone else.

Kids love music. Talk to principal or tribal council to see if they can help offset the costs.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum