Time to complete 6 required credits?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Time to complete 6 required credits?

Postby ariley » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:20 am

Hi everyone!
I am a currently finishing my graduate certificate in Elementary Education, K-6 from Colorado Mesa University next month, May 2015. I would like to move to Alaska to teach and would like to start this coming fall 2015 if possible. However, I do not have my 6 required credits of AK courses. In one posting it was mentioned that applicants have 1 year to complete the courses. Does this mean that once you start teaching in AK, you have one year to finish these courses? Thanks for the input, I am very excited to get this process going!
A.R.
ariley

Re: Time to complete 6 required credits?

Postby jabullock » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:22 pm

You actually have 2 years from the time you get your Alaska Initial license to complete the 6 credits. This allows the state to give you the 3rd year of the initial license.
Tech Help
jabullock

Re: Time to complete 6 required credits?

Postby cyclone67 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:24 pm

The other advantage about waiting on those courses is there may be some funding available from your district to take them. You may also be able to get credit through culture camps. I knocked my culture class out through a 2 week program with UAF. A few days of class and a week fishing and working at a fish camp. It was a great experience!
cyclone67

Return to ATP Forum