Internet access in Alaska

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Internet access in Alaska

Postby BronwynH » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:33 am

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are very excited about the possibility of my teaching in Alaska. We are coming from New Mexico and are looking forward to a big change - this is something we've dreamed about!

He is a computer programmer who works from home. Our concern is having high speed internet for his work. We're assuming that the larger towns would have internet providers, but what about the reliability? And farther out in the Bush - would just purchasing a satellite dish be enough for access?

Thanks for any info you can provide. Fingers crossed for a job offer soon!

Bronwyn
BronwynH

Re: Internet access in Alaska

Postby cyclone67 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:08 pm

If high speed internet is a necessity; you are going to have to do some research before you take an offer. It varies widely from location to location (even within the same school district). Johncn hopefully will pop on and he can tell you where the best internet in the bush is.
cyclone67

Postby BronwynH » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:21 am

Thanks! We figured it would vary widely. We've read that some areas have only recently had high-speed internet available and even then, "high-speed" maybe subjective. :D
BronwynH

Postby cyclone67 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Very true! Last year I was a location with notoriously poor internet. Unless you were at school it was very weak. Couldn't even check Facebook; forget about loading anything. This year I am in the same district but different village. Here I have internet and school and in my apartment. Equal speed at home and school, and can pretty much do anything I want to or need to.
cyclone67

Postby Johncn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:36 am

As the last poster says, it can vary within a district or a region greatly. You may want to check this post out from January:

http://alaskateacher.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1066
Johncn

Postby BronwynH » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Thanks, John. :) I searched the forum and found your post - very informative.

We'll just have to play it by ear and if we need to buy a commercial grade satellite dish, that's the route we'll go. We don't want internet to be a deal-breaker for Alaska. We're too excited about the possibility!

Thanks again,

Bron
BronwynH

Postby Bushteachers » Sun May 10, 2015 2:18 pm

BronwynH wrote:Hello everyone!

My husband and I are very excited about the possibility of my teaching in Alaska. We are coming from New Mexico and are looking forward to a big change - this is something we've dreamed about!

He is a computer programmer who works from home. Our concern is having high speed internet for his work. We're assuming that the larger towns would have internet providers, but what about the reliability? And farther out in the Bush - would just purchasing a satellite dish be enough for access?

Thanks for any info you can provide. Fingers crossed for a job offer soon!

Bronwyn

There is no unlimited internet. Just a heads up.
Bushteachers

Postby BronwynH » Sun May 10, 2015 3:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up! We're prepared for overage charges. :)
BronwynH

Postby Bushteachers » Sun May 10, 2015 4:42 pm

BronwynH wrote:Thanks for the heads up! We're prepared for overage charges. :)

It'll kill you. Lol.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum