Offered a job in Unalakleet!

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Offered a job in Unalakleet!

Postby clm55 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:55 am

Hi everybody! I've really enjoyed reading through the forum! I was offered a job by the school in Unalakleet and I have to let them know this week. I think it would be an awesome and rewarding experience... the principal is great and the I would really enjoy getting to know the students and the community. I am definitely still figuring out how I feel about the potential isolation though.

I was also given a early contract offer with Denver Public Schools, so basically I can look for a position, but am guaranteed to be placed somewhere. I have also had really good interviews with schools outside SLC, Utah and should hear from them this week. I have never been to those places, but I love all things nature and would probably love them. I also like what I hear about the laid-back nature of the people. I was planning to visit them in May but I have to make a decision well before that! I have also felt for a long time that I want to end up in the Pacific Northwest. I've been to WA twice and just fell in love with the nature there. BUT! I also realize other places I have not been to could equally awesome and beautiful. So basically, I'm going back and forth between accepting it and exploring my options a little more. Any advice to help sort this all out in my head?
clm55

Re: Offered a job in Unalakleet!

Postby madowlspeaks » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:55 am

I'd say that you would be crazy not to accept the Unalakleet position. Have you seen the King Salmon that come out of there?

Just do it. 8-) ;)
madowlspeaks

Postby cyclone67 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:01 pm

Unalakleet is a lot less isolated than most bush positions. First off, it is a hub location so you have easy transport in and out of Anchorage. Cheap -- relatively speaking. Also, it has a lot more "civilization" than any other school in BSSD. You have 2 restaurants (pizza and a burger place), a nice store where you can get pretty much anything you need, a beauty shop, and a really nice location for things to do. Lots of the teachers have to work their way for years to get a spot at UNK. Because of this you will find that many teachers have some really cool toys. You'll find teachers with boats, 4 wheelers, even had some staff last year with a plane out there. And, if it floats your boat; it is damp so you can drink. If you want to teach in the Bush, this is a great opportunity. As I said, some people wait for YEARS to get the chance. We do all our in services there and I always have had a good time when I'm there.
cyclone67

Postby clm55 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:16 am

You guys bring up really great points. I'm realizing that the things I'm worried about most -- the cold and isolation -- are manageable. (Most of the time at least!) I'm still going to let the idea sit with me for another day but I'm pretty sure I am going to accept it! I stumbled upon the old ATP forum and searching for BSSD and Unalakleet in there gave me all the more reason to do it... I only read great things about both!
clm55

Postby madowlspeaks » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:32 am

I was in your position once about deciding on signing a letter of intent for a position (pondering, worrying) and I finally posed my concerns and questions to people at the ATP job fair and I got a lot of varying responses. One person said "Only you can make that choice" and that didn't help much although an excellent answer. And another said, "What are you waiting for? Don't be a fool and take it." Personally, I liked the latter answer better as it helped me snap out of the 'analysis paralysis' state of mind I was in.

I would assume that any person who ponders teaching in Alaska likes wilderness, nature, outdoors and all of the elements so why would these same things be a deterrent? Plus, I would choose to work in Alaska rather than the lower 48 because I like the Alaskan mentality. Alaskans in general seem happier and nicer than those in the lower 48.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2121702

Plus, according to this article, Alaskans ranked first in happiness where Colorado ranked just sixth.
madowlspeaks

Postby clm55 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:38 am

Yeah that's the idea I like about it and the more I research, the more I feel like this is such a great opportunity and something I really need to do! Thanks for the link - I had no idea!
clm55

Postby cyclone67 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:59 pm

Glad you found some information that helps. Don't ponder too long……. It's the height of hiring season here in the Bush. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Teaching in the bush is a unique experience and you will get the chance to do some really fun, challenging, exciting things. The cold is not too bad; you just have to buy the right gear.
cyclone67

Postby madowlspeaks » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:59 am

tenny01 wrote: I am definitely still figuring out how I feel about the potential isolation though.

Case in point...analysis paralysis :lol:
madowlspeaks

Postby clm55 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:03 am

I'm not sure who that is, but they clearly just copy and pasted my original post. (Spam I guess?)

On a happier note, I accepted the offer earlier this week and I cannot wait!
clm55

Postby madowlspeaks » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:35 pm

Hi. It is not spam. That's just me (a newly hired teacher teacher who was just in the same predicament as you, weighing options and trying to decide on a job offer and stalling) trying to be funny about the analysis paralysis thing I mentioned before in this same topic. Please don't take it the wrong way!

If you look at the top right of the box where you reply to posts you can quote (or refer to) others' post to have a lively forum. It isn't copy and pasting it is a forum tool.

It is also an attempt at advice through light hearted humor and that's all. Perhaps my sense of humor needs improvement!
madowlspeaks

Postby clm55 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:06 pm

I was actually referring to the post above you - sorry about the confusion! That person just copied what I had said in my first post.

Anywho, no worries and congrats on getting hired!
clm55

Postby madowlspeaks » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks clm55 and congrats to you too.
madowlspeaks

Postby cobbwilliam » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:01 pm

I think Unalakleet is great. I know the Principal and you'll love him. This village is full of great people and great staff. The housing is good and travel is not often an issue. Take the job. Live the adventure.
cobbwilliam

Postby Planetwalker » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:09 am

Unalakleet is also on the Iditarod Trail ;)
Changes come from the Power of Many, but only when the many come together to form that which is invincible. The Power of One. - Bryce Courtenay
Planetwalker

Postby SassySunshine » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:46 pm

I'm hoping to resurrect this post... I'm intrigued by Unalakleet and LOVE the enthusiasm for UNK I have seen here. I am wondering if clm55 accepted the position and have any new feedback to offer. They are flying a SpEd position and I am ready to apply. Since the posts here are a couple of years old, I am wondering if UNK is still a great place to teach?
Any insight on the teacher housing? Is it close to the school?
Please share....
Thank you!!!
SassySunshine

Postby TWOLCOTT » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 pm

I'm a teacher in UNK, Sassy (I sent you an email). I've been here for eight years. Most teacher housing is right next to the school, some is on the other end of town, but the walk is only 10 minutes or so. Most teacher housing was built recently, but there are a few buildings in use that are older (mine being one of them). If clm came up here in 2015, I honestly don't know who that is...I can't remember our new staff from that fall. So, clm...sorry!
TWOLCOTT

Postby SassySunshine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm

Thank you TWOLCOTT! I appreciate the reply.
I bet that walk can be pretty cold in the winter!!
SassySunshine

Postby TWOLCOTT » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:54 pm

If you bundle up, it's not so bad. Having an ATV helps, but I don't run mine below 10 degrees. Others will run their machines much colder...I just don't want to do that to my engine. My first year up here, I purchased some beaver fur gloves and a hat from a student...been keeping me warm ever since!

For others who are thinking about coming to Unalakleet, the wind chill here makes it much colder than what the thermometer reads. I'd get some good snow pants and a nice winter jacket...something that will stop the wind. No exposed skin :)
TWOLCOTT

Return to ATP Forum