Rain gear suggestions

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Rain gear suggestions

Postby ethetedave » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:40 pm

Hello and thank you in advance for any words of wisdom from the ATP user world.
My question is basic, but it concerns a very important topic. What is the best-highest quality, money no issue-kinda raingear for Yukon/Lower Kuskokwim area from June to end of mud season. I don't want to skimp on this necessity, so any advice would be most appreciated.
Many thanks for your advice.

Dave from Wyoming
ethetedave

Re: Rain gear suggestions

Postby ElemEducator » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:27 pm

I did not necessarily buy much rain gear this past summer, but the I would highly recommend an excellent pair of boots. I purchased the Muck brand- Arctic Sport boots and they are by far the best piece of gear that I have purchased. You can comfortably wear them in temps ranging from -40 all the way up 60.

They are slip on boots, which make them easy and comfortable to wear. I know you can buy them in Anchorage for about $130-$150
ElemEducator

Postby esbynum » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:58 pm

ElemEducator wrote:I did not necessarily buy much rain gear this past summer, but the I would highly recommend an excellent pair of boots. I purchased the Muck brand- Arctic Sport boots and they are by far the best piece of gear that I have purchased. You can comfortably wear them in temps ranging from -40 all the way up 60.

They are slip on boots, which make them easy and comfortable to wear. I know you can buy them in Anchorage for about $130-$150

For the Muck's, do you recommend the mid or the high boot?
esbynum

Postby ElemEducator » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:45 am

I purchased the high boot. They come up just a few inches short of my knee and help keep your legs much warmer.

I would definitely recommend the high, especially if you're going to be trekking around in any mud in the spring.
ElemEducator

Postby Bushteachers » Sun May 10, 2015 2:33 pm

ethetedave wrote:Hello and thank you in advance for any words of wisdom from the ATP user world.
My question is basic, but it concerns a very important topic. What is the best-highest quality, money no issue-kinda raingear for Yukon/Lower Kuskokwim area from June to end of mud season. I don't want to skimp on this necessity, so any advice would be most appreciated.
Many thanks for your advice.

Dave from Wyoming

You are kind of in my area. I wore a marmot rain jacket that worked great until I ripped it. I now wear a mountain hard wear jacket. Hanson Healy is popular.

For moose hunting I wear military goretex gear. For checking net I wear frog togs.
I admit to not wearing rain pants very often. I just wear quick dry pants.
Bushteachers

Postby ethetedave » Wed May 13, 2015 2:17 pm

Thank you for the advice. I am going to be in my village in mid-June for some training and just want to know what to except weather wise-near Bethel on the Kuskokwim.
Are the MuckBoots, as recommended, overkill and too much boot in June? I have been told that decent hiking boots that are waterproof would suffice. Again thank you all with experience a heartfelt thank you for the information that you provide "old newbie's", like myself.
ethetedave

Postby Bushteachers » Wed May 13, 2015 3:53 pm

ethetedave wrote:Thank you for the advice. I am going to be in my village in mid-June for some training and just want to know what to except weather wise-near Bethel on the Kuskokwim.
Are the MuckBoots, as recommended, overkill and too much boot in June? I have been told that decent hiking boots that are waterproof would suffice. Again thank you all with experience a heartfelt thank you for the information that you provide "old newbie's", like myself.

I find muck boots to be to hot. I also prefer the Boggs brand over the muck boot brand. But even better is a pair of hunting boots with insulate. I wear 1000g bass pro shop brand ones. Year round (even in -38 with double socks). Easier to slip on and off. I also wear hiking boots, but stopped after I got tired of tying the laces. Regular tennis shoes will be fine honestly at that time of the year.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum