International Applicants

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

International Applicants

Postby johnery » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Hello. Im john and very interested to work in Alaska. I want to know regarding with the status of applying in districts through online only? Would i be qualified online? What are your other advises to make my application on the list? I am done sending my application to this site. Do you have agency here in the Philippines to inquire?
johnery

Re: International Applicants

Postby Johncn » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:35 am

Hello,

This is a common question. The answer is, basically, that it is possible for foreign nationals to work in Alaska, but it is up tot he candidates to find a district that needs them, and is willing to support their application process well ahead of the beginning of the school year. There are teachers from the Philippines who have made this work, particularly those who have advanced degrees, and experience in shortage areas. There is no "list" of districts who have supported those teachers, and it changes from year-to-year which districts might be interested. I'd say it's only a handful of districts that venture into this area each year.

It's a long, and somewhat expensive process. For employers, who have to accept most of the costs, there is no guarantee that the US will approve a candidate at the end of that process, or that the they will be able to pass the many hurdles of the multiple bureaucracies involved. The process involves the state (Department of Labor advertising and "shortage" certification requirements and documentation), the US Department of State (work visa requirements and annual quotas / timeline), the candidate's own government (exit criteria and POEA in your case), the US Embassy officials and foreign nationals working for us in that country who typically control access to appointments for visa applicant interviews, and the "credential evaluation" process that Alaska Teacher Certification requires in order for a person to be licensed to work. So, it's a relatively high risk thing. ;-)

The ATP website has a page about this here that is meant for "general information", and not to be the actual facts in a frequently changing series of requirements:

ATP Foreign Applicants Page
http://www.alaskateacher.org/foreign_teachers.php

The Alaska Department of Education's evaluation of credentials information can be found on their site:

Alaska EED - Foreign Teacher Credential Info
If any college-level coursework has been completed outside of the United States, a completed, original foreign evaluation must be submitted with the application. More information concerning foreign evaluations can be found here:

http://education.alaska.gov/teachercertification/forms/Foreign_Evaluation_Info.pdf

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby johnery » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:52 pm

Thank you! It gives me an idea. Since i am interested, i will still grab the opportunity and willing to continue the process even i can undergo many ways and steps just to finish applying just to grab the job or even it would be risky at all. Hopefully and given a chance! THANK YOU :D
johnery

Postby kazachka » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:39 am

Be sure to contact the evaluation agency directly to see if they evaluate coursework from your country and in what context. Juneau has a list of agencies that handle foreign coursework. I have renewed my AK teacher certificate now twice from overseas and had to deal with the foreign eval. The first time in 2006, I did post graduate work at Moscow State U and used it for my recency credits. I used the agency IERF in California for the foreign eval. that Juneau requires. It took a couple months to get. Again, My certificate was to expire in 2008, so I planned accordingly to allow plenty of time and wiggle room. On the last renewal cycle, I called IERF, and they told me they no longer evaluate any non -degree coursework from Russia or the former Soviet Union (again, country specific). I called a couple more of the agencies on the list and was given the runaround as to whether or not they'd recognize more post graduate credits from Russia. One agency in FL wanted 350$ for a 30 min "consultation"!!! :o At that point, I said the heck with it, and just did my coursework online with UAF. I knew 200% that it would be accepted for certification renewal. They were really user friendly and being able to turn in homework to the online dropbox cut lag time to a minimum since the post in one direction from here can be 2-4 weeks! I renewed my last certificate in Sept 2013, but did a class in 2011 and in 2012 to allow plenty of wiggle room to get everything (fingerprints too) submitted. So, just check with the agency you are going to use to see if they work with credentials from your country and if they evaluate degree and or non- degree work.
kazachka

Return to ATP Forum