Who is planning on going to a job fair?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Who is planning on going to a job fair?

Postby esbynum » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:24 am

Would love to connect with others that are planning on going to the job fairs.

I'm planning on going to the Anchorage fair looking for a social studies position in the bush somewhere. I have a few districts in mind where I'd like to be, but I'm open.

Anyone else going to Anchorage or another fair?
esbynum

Re: Who is planning on going to a job fair?

Postby Planetwalker » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:31 am

May go to Minneapolis fair this year.
Last edited by Planetwalker on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Changes come from the Power of Many, but only when the many come together to form that which is invincible. The Power of One. - Bryce Courtenay
Planetwalker

Postby kjfisher32 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:49 pm

I'll be at the Anchorage job fair, I'm so excited!
kjfisher32

Postby jrich84 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:05 am

Hi there!

I am planning to attend the Anchorage job fair in search of a position as a school counselor. I'd like to work in the Anchorage or Fairbanks area, but I'm open. :D
jrich84

Postby esbynum » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:56 am

If anyone gets in early to the Anchorage job fair and wants to meet up to chat, let me know. I get Wednesday night and I am staying at the fair hotel.

Send me a PM here and we can arrange to meet up. Would love to talk to others who are trying to find employment.
esbynum

Postby lauren burch » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:43 pm

Hello, Lauren Burch of Southeast Island School District. lburch@sisd.org. I will be at all of the ATP job fairs. Happy to meet the night before the fair or the evening of the fair with anyone looking for work, regardless of whether we have a position that fits or not. Happy to talk about Alaska and teaching. Email me if you would like to ask questions about living and working here. Lauren
lauren burch

Postby Coach Mann » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:40 am

I am going and looking for a PE/Health position somewhere along the gulf coastal region. I am also working on my Certification for vo-tech. I will be getting in around 11 pm Thursday and staying in the host hotel. I will be renting a car if anyone needs help with transportation. I would love to meet others and exchange war stories.

Thanks
John
Coach Mann

Postby nschu6 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:39 am

My Wife and I are both planning to attend the 12 April Job Fair in Minneapolis. We have been told from several school districts that they would not be attending this fair.

My question is......will there be many districts represented at the Minneapolis Job Fair? Will it be worth our time and money to travel to Minneapolis on this weekend?

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.

NDS
Last edited by nschu6 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nschu6

Postby lauren burch » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Hello NDS, Southeast Island School District will be at the APT Minn job fair. It seems like usually 20 districts maybe? much much less at the general Minn job fair a day or two on one side or the other of the APT fair. i am sure APT can tell you which districts will be there. I can't tell you if worth the drive. Depends on your certification, other attributes and skill. There will be a number of people hired from that contact, but many that will not. I go because I prefer to see the candidates rather than just doing by phone. good luck, lauren
lauren burch

Postby ShiloMcManus » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:20 pm

My husband and I will be attending the Anchorage job fair, although we won't be flying in to Anchorage until Friday due to current work responsibilities. Would be nice to be there all day Friday but that is simply not doable for us at this time. I have often wondered why the job fair is on Friday and Saturday instead of Saturday and Sunday....it would seem that it would be easier for people who are already employed to attend. Hopefully, we will be able to meet with the districts we would like to with the time we have on Saturday. :D
ShiloMcManus

Postby lauren burch » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:39 pm

Hello Shilo, SISD will be at the fair on Saturday. We are leaving at the crack of doom on Sunday morning. lauren
lauren burch

Postby ShiloMcManus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:53 pm

lauren burch wrote:Hello Shilo, SISD will be at the fair on Saturday. We are leaving at the crack of doom on Sunday morning. lauren

We have spoken via email about various job listings your district had last year. It will be nice to meet in person. See you in Anchorage. Shilo
ShiloMcManus

Postby esbynum » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:35 am

If anyone gets in today hit me up here via a PM and maybe we can meet up and discuss the fair. I will be working on a paper all day (oh the joys of grad school) but would love to talk to some of the other applicants. Or if you see a big guy on a laptop somewhere in the hotel with a book on Japan out, stop by and say hi.

Eric
esbynum

Postby Betty Walters » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:38 am

Esbynum,

Congratulations on your new position in Lower Yukon School District (LYSD). I have been to several of the sites in your new district and have appreciated that statewide mentors are a part of the district planning. If you are a first or second year social studies teacher, you will be a part of that process. A mentor will likely attend your new teacher in-service, traditionally held in Anchorage by LYSD. A mentor will visit your specific site once a month and contact you each week to support your transition to a rural Alaska school and community. Your district will be very helpful in preparing you for the needs you will have....food, clothing, household items, and most importantly, the district expectations as to curriculum, instruction, student learning, community history and culture, etc. Mentors are not evaluative and are there to assist new teachers in many ways.

If you have more experience, a statewide mentor is always available to talk with you at a site during a visit or through email, etc.

Let me know how ASMP can support you.

Betty Walters
Alaska Statewide Mentor Project
bettywalters.asmp@gmail.com
Betty Walters

Postby joel.taylor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:54 am

I plan to attend the Minneapolis job fair.
Completed student teaching and graduate program in 2012.
Just getting licensed for 7-12 social sciences.
joel.taylor

Postby ShannonKelley » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:18 pm

I'll be in Seattle. I'm an English 7-12 subject teacher with 8 years experience.
ShannonKelley

Postby rgastiaburu » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:14 am

My name is Rosa and I will be in Seattle on Friday. I'm a science teacher with 6 years experience and finishing up grad school.
rgastiaburu

Return to ATP Forum