Experienced teaching couple with 3 young kids

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Experienced teaching couple with 3 young kids

Postby TheCousins » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:52 pm

My wife and I taught in bush Alaska 2006-2008. We have since moved back to PA and now have a 3 year old, 1 1/2 year old and newborn. We have always planned on going back to Alaska when our kids were school age. We have recently decided that we would like push that timeline up if possible.

My question is: are there any districts out there that offer in-house childcare? We would prefer to return to the bush, but understand that the situation we are seeking is more likely in a more densely populated area.
TheCousins

Re: Experienced teaching couple with 3 young kids

Postby Toni McFadden » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:11 am

Hello Cousins,
In house child care is not something I have heard of from any of our districts, but then again, I have never asked. That would be a good question when you interview with a district. I can do some checking and get back to you.
Toni
Toni McFadden

Postby lauren burch » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:54 pm

Hello, Southeast Island School District is small and rural, with ten sites between 10 and 70 kids. Child care in general is skimpy and it would be challenging to get someone at a daycare to do the three kids. In home the odds go up quite a bit because the potential cost is more attractive than what someone would pay to have their one child watched. In general, I see one parent staying home a lot or working part time. employment is all about certifications in a small district. Couples often have similar certifications because....well that is the people you meet late in your teaching program I guess. But, it is a handicap in small districts. Unless one willing to work part time or one is secondary and one is elementary options in a district like ours are limited. lauren 907 828-8254 questions any time.
lauren burch

Postby Bushteachers » Sun May 10, 2015 9:19 pm

TheCousins wrote:My wife and I taught in bush Alaska 2006-2008. We have since moved back to PA and now have a 3 year old, 1 1/2 year old and newborn. We have always planned on going back to Alaska when our kids were school age. We have recently decided that we would like push that timeline up if possible.

My question is: are there any districts out there that offer in-house childcare? We would prefer to return to the bush, but understand that the situation we are seeking is more likely in a more densely populated area.

I doubt you will find what you need. Have you thought of a nanny? We've brought one out for the last two years after having horrible time finding reliable child are.
Bushteachers

Postby schneidler » Mon May 18, 2015 3:59 pm

My wife and I have raised our 2 kids, now ages 5 and 9, in our village of Kasigluk. We used a combination of babysitters at their homes and babysitters who came to our home. Note that the IRS sees the latter as a nanny and you have to pay payroll taxes like social security, give them a w2, treat them as an employee in general. So anyway it can be done. In our case we had been in our village for years before we had kids, at which point we were able to find a safe, quality babysitter placement because we knew people well already. If we were brand new that would have been more of a challenge. We also paid people very generously because we didn't want them to ever turn us down. : - ) We paid $10 per hour for 1 child, and $15 per hour for both kids, so most days were over $100 when we were both working full time. Most of our sitters ended up being former students, and the other 2 were moms of our students who were young grandmas and already watching other kids (grandkids).

LKSD in Bethel has a preschool program that is specifically for the children of employees, but that only is for 36 months and up, and you have to live in Bethel. The idea of bringing a nanny with you isn't a bad idea. I remember we thought about paying our recently out of school niece to move here during the school year and watch our kids, for less $$ than we were paying anyway. But there were some perks to the babysitter route. We got to know a lot of people through that, more deeply than we would have otherwise. We contributed to the local economy, which is pretty impoverished for the most part. And we got a big tax break. If both parents work you get a credit for 20% or more of the $$ you spent on babysitting up to $3,000 per child per year. I can't remember if that applies if you have a babysitter in your own home. Anyway hope this info is helpful for someone. -pete
schneidler

Postby Bushteachers » Mon May 18, 2015 9:30 pm

schneidler wrote:My wife and I have raised our 2 kids, now ages 5 and 9, in our village of Kasigluk. We used a combination of babysitters at their homes and babysitters who came to our home. Note that the IRS sees the latter as a nanny and you have to pay payroll taxes like social security, give them a w2, treat them as an employee in general. So anyway it can be done. In our case we had been in our village for years before we had kids, at which point we were able to find a safe, quality babysitter placement because we knew people well already. If we were brand new that would have been more of a challenge. We also paid people very generously because we didn't want them to ever turn us down. : - ) We paid $10 per hour for 1 child, and $15 per hour for both kids, so most days were over $100 when we were both working full time. Most of our sitters ended up being former students, and the other 2 were moms of our students who were young grandmas and already watching other kids (grandkids).

LKSD in Bethel has a preschool program that is specifically for the children of employees, but that only is for 36 months and up, and you have to live in Bethel. The idea of bringing a nanny with you isn't a bad idea. I remember we thought about paying our recently out of school niece to move here during the school year and watch our kids, for less $$ than we were paying anyway. But there were some perks to the babysitter route. We got to know a lot of people through that, more deeply than we would have otherwise. We contributed to the local economy, which is pretty impoverished for the most part. And we got a big tax break. If both parents work you get a credit for 20% or more of the $$ you spent on babysitting up to $3,000 per child per year. I can't remember if that applies if you have a babysitter in your own home. Anyway hope this info is helpful for someone. -pete

You get a tax break for Childcare over a certain amount regardless of whether in home or out of home. We tried the village sitter with no luck. We even offered more money, but was quickly shut down because it would have raised the cost of Childcare for others. But our main issue was sitters never showing up on time.

The nanny route has been great. Rates are affordable, but we have to share our house. Heck, we are moving to a hub next school year and are atill bringing our nanny. Though we were tempted to go with local help, just don't think our new district would allow us to bring our kids to work.
Bushteachers

Postby TheCousins » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:58 pm

When we were on the slope, 3 year old kids went to school. Is that a district thing, or statewide policy?
TheCousins

Postby Bushteachers » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:39 pm

TheCousins wrote:When we were on the slope, 3 year old kids went to school. Is that a district thing, or statewide policy?

District thing. Believe it or not a kid doesn't have to go to school until 7 years old I believe. Might want to double check that age.
Bushteachers

Postby Johncn » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:07 am

Hey Cousins,

I think this thread from January might help:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1070&p=1344

It really depends on the villages in each district. Some have "Head Start" and this allows ECE age children of teaching staff to attend a Preschool program. Sometimes this is in the school itself, or other district facility. Sometimes not. Sometimes certified ECE / Preschool teachers. Sometimes not. Some years the district secures funding for a preschool program for a site using grant funds. Some years, not so much.

Hope this helps, but the links in the thread, and follow up with specific districts might provide some leads.

Good luck.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum