Page 1 of 1

special ed certification

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:26 pm
by nowisthetime

I was offered a special ed job but after reading a bit of fine print on the certification page (it's a big vague on this topic), I am wondering if I will get certified.

I have a teaching license from another state in which I am certified in special ed. However, this was gained not through a university, but a state-approved alternative program (not an institute of higher learning).

If I apply for the one-year initial cert., will they just give it to me based on looking at my license from another state? Or are they gonna say, hey wait, you have to provide the state rec. form and you have to pass a basic skills test, and so forth and secure an initial three year license.

I looked at the codes and tried to read the requirements, but I'm even more confused now. I hate to fly up there and then not get certified.

Has anyone ever gotten certified in AK in special ed with an endorsement gained via testing alone in another state? For one year?


Re: special ed certification

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:52 am
by Toni McFadden
You need to contact EED, Alaska's Department of Education, and get a hold of someone in the Teacher Certification office ASAP! Telephone: (907) 465-2831
They will be able to give you correct info and on your way to Alaska Certification.
Best wishes, let us know how it turns out and where you are going!