Unsure of opportunities for me

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Unsure of opportunities for me

Postby Nathn_Watsn » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:03 am

My girlfriend and I have discussed moving to Alaska from the UK in a year or so. I was wondering if there were many opportunities for someone like me: 20 years old with excellent high school qualifications (UK GCSE's and A Levels) but no university/college degree. I am interested in perhaps being a teaching assistant and have expertise in English Language and Literature. Are there positions such as this widely available to people from the UK?
Nathn_Watsn

Re: Unsure of opportunities for me

Postby Johncn » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Hello,

The main issues you will have with employment as a UK citizen will mostly be regarding work visas. We are not really experts in this area, but I can repeat what some past attorneys who posted have said. Certified teachers (licensed) with degrees in education can sometimes find school districts to sponsor them for a visa. This is typically an H-1B visa that a shortage has been demonstrated for...involving quite a bit of paperwork on the school district's part. They have to initiate the application after finding a candidate they want to hire. The teachers also have to additionally submit credentials for evaluation, and go through Juneau's Teacher Certification office to see if they can be certified to teach in Alaska (all teachers need certification in order to work). The candidates for these jobs that are most successful are those with advanced degrees, and/or experience in shortage areas - such as Special Education, Math and Science. Some Alaska districts have hired foreign nationals before in shortage areas.

That said, although it is possible for these teachers to work, the key is finding a district to spearhead the process and offer a contract. This can be difficult.

I am not aware of any situations where a position as a teacher's classroom assistant / aide would be categorized under the H-1B, but I am not really all that in the know about such things. Perhaps someone else here could shed some light, but I'm not well informed.

Hope this helps, but I imagine it is not what you had hoped to hear.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum