Help! Can anyone recommend a shipping company?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Help! Can anyone recommend a shipping company?

Postby AnaFerreira » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:06 pm

Hi,
We are moving to Akiak for a job. We have 40 boxes to ship from Chicago. Should I use a shipping company or the USPS ?
Any recommendations for shipping companies to use?
Thanks.
AnaFerreira

Re: Help! Can anyone recommend a shipping company?

Postby Johncn » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi,

Even with the new rates announced in January, I would recommend USPS. Flat rate boxes are your friend. Rubbermaid tubs are good, and there are folks on the ATP Forum (if you search the archive link) who will tell you all the best ways to mail things. It is more art than science, but you can learn lots.

The most important thing in my opinion would be to cut your 40 to 10 or 20 boxes. You can ALWAYS have them standing by to ship later. Get there with the essentials, and make do until Christmas...then reevaluate what you need. I wish someone would have told me that before my first job in Alaska (right up river from Akiak). We sent far, far too much up our first year.

Anyway, congratulations on your new position(s), and welcome to the ATP Forum. Remember that opinions are like elbows....everybody has them. Others here may give you different advice.

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum