Questions about late applications/hiring.

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Questions about late applications/hiring.

Postby HannahThompson » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:52 am

Hi all!

I am just hoping to get a little insight on the late hiring process. I understand that the hiring season is past its "prime" but I am still VERY interested in a position. I wasn't applying during the typical hiring season because I already had a teaching position in SE Alaska that I had been working since 2012. However, my classroom is quite possibly losing all funding next year (putting two teachers and two aides out of jobs) so my decision to start applying happened pretty late. My main question is how likely is it that someone can find a job this late in the season? I'm also a little curious about the job board. It says that (currently) there are 500+ jobs to fill. Many of these jobs seem to be past their deadline for application but are still open on the site and accepting applications. Does this mean they haven't found anyone yet? Or have these positions just not been taken down? Any insight would be helpful and appreciated!

Also, I'm wondering about the likelihood of my s/o finding a job. He currently works in a non-certified position for the same school in SE as a one-on-one support for students with behavioral needs. He has ample experience doing this for k-12 students but doesn't have his certification. This isn't a determining factor for us in our job hunt but I just thought I would ask :) Thanks again!
HannahThompson

Re: Questions about late applications/hiring.

Postby Johncn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:40 am

Welcome to the ATP Forum, Hannah. Great questions.

First of all, it's not "late" so much as it is past the peak of the season. Jobs open for all sorts of reasons at this time of year - unexpected medical leaves, grant funding secured for additional positions, unplanned retirements, etc. - and there is an active market. You only need to find the RIGHT one. ;-) I'd check every day.

In fact, there are three Virtual Job Fairs which districts have asked ATP to set up in the next week to ten days. The first one is with Yupiit School District on Monday, June 9 (3 PM Alaska time). I'll post the others as soon as get confirmations.

As far as posting being "past expiration", there is a great deal of variation in how districts post and close their openings. Districts are responsible for posting and closing their own with the Applitrack system. Some post only some of their jobs, or post one job in a "category" to attract applications, and then fill multiple jobs from that listing. Others post their jobs in the Spring, and ATP will remind them months later that the job is stale, and then close it for them. Others have "live" postings, and open and close them daily. My former employer - BSSD - is like that. If you see a job posted from them, you can put money on it being still open (they have 16 as of today).

I'd also be patient, as many districts have their administrative ranks out on vacation, or parts of it out traveling....so response times may vary quite a bit.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Re: Questions about late applications/hiring.

Postby HannahThompson » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks John!

I appreciate all of your input on my questions. After finding out that my classroom was potentially going to disappear I was pretty surprised and unsure of how to proceed for next year. Originally, it was my dream to teach in rural Alaska and I ended up in a not-so rural school district basically by chance. I'm hoping that I am able to find something wonderful that is the right fit for me and my fiance. Ideally, I'd love to attend one of the virtual job fairs. I'll be on vacation for much of next week though, which worries me a bit. I'll have to try to find a computer in my travels!

Thanks for taking the time to read my questions and provide great responses! :)
HannahThompson

Return to ATP Forum