Virtual job fair tomorrow?

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Virtual job fair tomorrow?

Postby Coach Mann » Mon May 26, 2014 4:41 pm

Help!

I read last week about a virtual job fair coming up. I even put the time and date in my calender. HOWEVER......

I cannot find the website to save my life! I think it is through ATP but it is not listed and I cannot find it!

Does anyone know about this and how to participate? I have it starting at 3:00pm and I am in Central time zone.

Thanks,
Coach Mann
Coach Mann

Re: Virtual job fair tomorrow?

Postby Johncn » Tue May 27, 2014 11:33 am

Hi,

Because these events are highly dependent on the district staff's availability, we only announce them the day of the event, or sometimes the day before. There was one tentatively scheduled for today, but it did not materialize. It was never formally announced. There is a VJF tentatively scheduled for tomorrow, and if I can confirm it, notices will go out in a few minutes. There is possibly another one on Thursday that I still need to confirm, so it has not been announced yet, either.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby Coach Mann » Tue May 27, 2014 6:02 pm

Sounds good John, Let me know. I have an appointment at 10:00 central to accept or decline a job offer here in Missouri but I really would like to pack up and move North! One of my questions is if I can buy out of the contract if one of the five positions in Alaska comes through. Do they frequently hire someone before they get certified in Alaska. I am currently certified in Mo. and know I would need a couple Alaska Ed. classes to fulfill my certification there. Do they issue and hire on a provisional Certification?

John
Coach Mann

Postby ShiloMcManus » Thu May 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Yes, they will hire before you have your Alaska certification. We moved to Kenai last summer/fall from Maine. I was hired last July and I had just submitted for my certification at the time. I received my "yellow card" before the school year started in August (because the school system called and had it fast tracked- I think). I didn't receive my official certification until November. The sooner you apply for it though the better because it shows districts that you are serious about making the move. Best wishes on your job hunt :)

Shilo

P.S. If you are certified in another state you get a certification that mirrors what you have in your current state and then there are requirements to be met in the first and second year to renew that certification. It is all laid out on the Dept of Education and Early Development site.
ShiloMcManus

Return to ATP Forum