Crunch Time

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Crunch Time

Postby Coach Mann » Tue May 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Does anyone know of a good website that will give me the statistical information on enrollment for all the Alaska school districts. Some district website do not have any information at all. Has anyone lived on Kodiak Island that can give me an idea of quality of life for my family moving there?

Thanks, John
Coach Mann

Re: Crunch Time

Postby Johncn » Tue May 20, 2014 12:57 pm

Hello,

The Alaska Department of Education website has all the data you could possibly want on schools and districts. The "Rolodex" is broken down by district and school, and includes the number of students enrolled for each:

http://education.alaska.gov/DOE_Rolodex/SchoolCalendar/Home/Districts

Other parts of their site have the school "Report Card" for each school and each district as a whole:

https://education.alaska.gov/DOE_Rolodex/schools/ReportCard/RCSearch.cfm

As far as your last question, however, there is no way to quantify the "quality of life" in Kodiak. What may be an idyllic quality of life for me and for my family could be a nightmare for you and yours....and vice versa. If you have specific questions about the communities in that district, I'm sure that someone will be able to assist with more specifics, or direct you to some good sources.

Hope this helps.

John
Johncn

Postby Coach Mann » Tue May 20, 2014 1:03 pm

Thank you John for the link. I was on that site and must have overlooked that section. Are you a current educator in Alaska?

John
Coach Mann

Postby Johncn » Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 am

Hi,

Yes, I am an Alaskan educator.

Just to clarify my earlier post, I personally really like Kodiak Island - the town and the district. Had their budget cycle been just a bit earlier in past years, my wife and I would have likely ended up working for them. We always chose to secure jobs before or at the Anchorage Job Fair, and in the few years we were looking actively, they only had tentative jobs by Anchorage Job Fair time...and could not commit. Or so they said! :D

However, you would have to ask more specific lifestyle related questions to get good answers from those more in the know about Kodiak than I am.

Regards,

john
Johncn

Postby Coach Mann » Wed May 21, 2014 3:04 pm

It has been a life long dream of mine to move to Alaska as well as becoming a Teacher/coach. I returned to college at 45 to get my certification so I could teach full time along with my coaching. Health and Physical Education appear to be one of the most competitive areas out there and I have found it hard earning a position even here in Missouri. It seems to me simply getting a district to give your resume a second look takes knowing someone within a district most of the time. Do you find that to be the same up there? My local district that I have been coaching with for 6 years had over 200 applicants for one PE opening this year. I have made it to the final three candidates in 5 different districts without a contract. As you can imagine I am getting pretty frustrated. I am trusting what is meant to happen will and simply going for my dream and praying that it works! Thanks for your information and if you can suggest anything please do.

John
Coach Mann

Postby Darla Grediagin » Thu May 22, 2014 4:08 am

Hi John,

Problem in Alaska with PE jobs is that a lot of our school districts don't have those positions.

Good luck,

Darla
Darla Grediagin

Postby Coach Mann » Thu May 22, 2014 5:44 am

I noticed that Darla. That is why I have been looking closer to the main cities in the bigger schools. I have applied for the traveling PE position out of Tok also but really think my family would be happier at the Kodiak position. Are the larger districts more competitive?

Thanks, John
Coach Mann

Postby Darla Grediagin » Thu May 22, 2014 7:26 am

The bigger communities are more competitive for the jobs, just because they have them. Coaching in the rural districts usually falls to a teacher or community member that takes classes on how to be a coach.

The Tok position sounds interesting. I have been an itinerate librarian for 15 years. Moving between schools has benefits. Depending on how old your children are though, having a job in which you go home everyday is a good prospect.

Valdez would be a good position in the fact that they had a well run sports program a few years ago. I have known teachers that had graduated from there and they enjoyed all parts of school there.

The Kenai position is nice if you would like to be driving distance to Anchorage. I grew up driving Anchorage to Homer to visit family, so I know the drive is pretty nice.

Good luck with your decisions.
Darla Grediagin

Postby Betty Walters » Thu May 22, 2014 8:32 am

:D :D :D :D :D The Kodiak Island assistant superintendent (at that time) rues the day she did not have the superintendent find, even create, two positions for John and his wife to bring forward to the Board of Education of KIBSD. M I S T A K E !!!!!! :roll: :oops: :twisted: They would have been perfect for the students in the school district, had many skills and talents to share with students and staff, and I believe they would have enjoyed the community as well. :twisted:

Kodiak, and all other communities across the state, are interesting places to work and to live. What do you want not only as a teacher but as a family? Districts will have info on what their expectations are for educators and, if offered a final interview, you will need to ask specific questions that reflect your family needs, the age/grades of your children, the availability of work for your spouse if applicable, the housing that is provided, can be rented or purchased. In your case, as a Phys Ed teacher and coach, you may want to know the availability of extra duty contracts in your areas of interest, length of contracts for activities, extent of travel away from your school site, etc. etc. etc. Depending on the age of your children and or their previous education or community experience, you will want to know what the community, school, district has that will interest them as well. Be ready to share your own hobbies, interests, and activities as well as those you wish to learn as there are many, many cultural and arts opportunities across the state. You will learn more from community members and local staff than you would ever imagine. You will enjoy Alaska if you have a great attitude, a dedication to instruction and your classroom (gymnasium) activities, an interest in the district, school and community, and give no less than 100% to the education and development of youth.

Betty Walters
Betty Walters

Return to ATP Forum