Housing

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Housing

Postby Dlouis3 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:40 pm

Hello,
I have just accepted a job at Toksook Bay and was wondering what the housing looked like? Well, not so much "looked like" rather what was included. What I mean by that is, are the houses furnished? What furniture is included in the housing, if any? And also, are there cooking supplies, i.e. Pots, pans, plates, cutlery? Or are these all things I should plan to bring up with me? I know it probably varies by village, but I just thought I'd ask! Thanks!
Dlouis3

Re: Housing

Postby JSchilz » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:51 am

If you don't receive an answer here, it's an ideal question for your new principal, who plays the role of landlord in your village housing.

Congratulations on your new job.
JSchilz

Postby Johncn » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:15 pm

Dlouis,

Congrats on your new position! You may want to post on the Celebration Thread that Darla posted.

Although your best source of information is, as JSchilz says, your new site administrator / landlord, LKSD has a nice booklet they use for new hires that could provide some general guidance:

LKSD Info Book - New Hire Documentation - 58 MB PDF Download
http://team.lksd.org/groups/certifiedne ... 20Book.pdf

Because it's a really large file, I've taken a screen shot of the part that may interest you:

Pretty good general advice, in my opinion, that is probably representative of many districts in rural Alaska. Hope this helps.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby kazachka » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:06 am

This is great info! I've been teaching overseas now for ten years. Prior to that I was a bilingual/ ELL teacher in Wasilla. I'm certified grades 6-12. I'm at a point in my life where I'm ready to come home now, and never intended to be gone more than 3-5 years, but life happened :) I would prefer to be on the road system again if possible, but am open to other options. I spent 9 years teaching in Alaska on the road system. Mat-Su has not had many openings at all much less in my department for the last several years. It's a similar picture in Anchorage as well. Again, I am now 40 and would like to come home sooner than later and have begun to consider the larger bush communities. I'm sure it varies by village, but do single teachers HAVE to live in shared housing or can they live on their own even if it means having to pay more? I know housing in small communities can be limited but would really like to know what the options are. Thanks.
kazachka

Postby Johncn » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:21 pm

Hello,

Single teachers don't always have to share housing. It depends on the district, the village and the union's negotiated agreement.

I would say, however, that since the districts are both the landlord and the employer, and have to build (or lease) housing units in the villages to house their staff each school year, they TEND to build two bedroom units. Single bedrooms housing would be ridiculously expensive to construct, generally speaking. Three bedroom units would probably end up having unused space many years.

The "two bedroom average" means that rural Alaska districts frequently have to find either a teaching couple, or two single teachers to share an apartment or duplex. Each year the openings differ. So....they not only have to find the teachers they need, they sometimes have to find two male or two female teachers who can teach different classes / levels, and co-habitate. Or, they need to find a couple that miraculously happens to each have the two random certification areas / highly qualified areas they need that year. ;-) It's not an easy gig being a recruiter.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby kazachka » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Very good to know! Thanks. :)I would guess that the smaller the village the more likely you are to have to share or no?
kazachka

Postby Bushteachers » Sun May 10, 2015 2:37 pm

kazachka wrote:Very good to know! Thanks. :)I would guess that the smaller the village the more likely you are to have to share or no?

Depends. We have one village where teachers share a duplex. One side has two ladies and the other side has one male. He didn't want to share so the last hired had to find housing in the village.
Bushteachers

Return to ATP Forum