Hiring Timeline

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Hiring Timeline

Postby ashipp » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:01 am

Hello All!

I am graduating in May and looking for my first teaching job to be in the Alaskan Bush! My college is in North Carolina, so I am only familiar with the hiring timeline in NC. Jobs don't really open up until late May or Early June, but I have no idea about Alaska. I have contacted several school districts as well as principals to express my interest, but I don't seem to be getting many responses, other then that my information is on file. Is this because schools still don't know what openings they will have for next year? I don't really want to pursue backup options yet, so knowing the timeline would be helpful.

Thank you for your help!!

Amanda
ashipp

Re: Hiring Timeline

Postby Johncn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Amanda,

Welcome to the ATP Forum. We had 8 teachers from North Carolina register for the Anchorage Job Fair last weekend, and I think some found jobs at the event.

In any case, the peak of the annual hiring for rural Alaska is right before and after the Anchorage Job Fair...or right about now. It's a little later for the districts that depend on borough or city tax-based budgets, as they have to finalize things after those budgets get approved. They are still interviewing if not hiring this time of year, in most cases. Rural Alaskan education gets nearly all of its funding from the state and federal governments, and they release students and teachers earlier, as school ends usually in early or mid-May each spring. The like to have most of their hiring done by April or May.

About a week ago the ATP Applitrack database (http://www.alaskateacher.org/jobs/) had over 600 teaching jobs posted. A quick search just now shows 452 posted. Since about 50 of those are administrator jobs, there are about 400 teaching jobs open right now. That number will continue to shrink as districts fill their jobs between now and mid-May. There ARE still jobs that come open during the summer, but the peak of hiring for the 2014-15 school year is upon us.

If you are seeking a job in Alaska, now is the time to ramp up your search.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby ashipp » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:38 pm

John,

Thank you for the information!!

~ Amanda
ashipp

Postby Darla Grediagin » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:42 am

HI,

Keep looking at the job forums as things change. I know of a teacher who got hired last year mid-summer because he was looking just at a point that someone else decided not to come back. This is a great time to have everything done for your application, but try not to get discouraged as the hiring season goes on.

Good luck
Darla Grediagin

Postby ashipp » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:59 am

Thank you for the positive message. This is my first real job searching experience, so it has been hard to stay positive. I have sent follow up emails, and I am continuing to look for new job posting.

Thanks,

Amanda
ashipp

Postby SandsJohn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:32 pm

Yeah,its necessary to be positive while looking for jobs as many times you don't get the job although having good qualification as many get job without being eligible due to jack or bribe but never loose hope as if you have talent you will definitely get your desire job.
SandsJohn

Postby Darla Grediagin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:11 pm

Sorry for your experience. What I have found with personnel directors is that they work to find the best person for their districts openings. Sometimes the openings go to a couple that best meets two openings for the district.

Good luck,

Darla
Darla Grediagin

Postby Johncn » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:26 am

SandsJohn wrote:Yeah,its necessary to be positive while looking for jobs as many times you don't get the job although having good qualification as many get job without being eligible due to jack or bribe but never loose hope as if you have talent you will definitely get your desire job.

SandsJohn,

Although a positive attitude is critical, there are no instances I'm aware of in Alaska of bribes resulting in an education job. Perhaps your experiences elsewhere have been different, but that does not represent Alaskan hiring practices.

Welcome to the ATP Forum.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum