LYSD, here I come!

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

LYSD, here I come!

Postby Courtney » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:29 pm

I've signed a contract with Lower Yukon, and I'll be teaching at Alakanuk! I am beyond excited, and I'm sure I'll be back on here with a bunch of questions. For now I just wanted to share my good news and see if there are any other LYSD new hires out there to connect with. :)
Courtney

Re: LYSD, here I come!

Postby Darla Grediagin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:57 am

Congratulations Courtney!!! :D

We welcome all questions posted to the board.
Darla Grediagin

Postby Johncn » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:19 am

Courtney wrote:I've signed a contract with Lower Yukon, and I'll be teaching at Alakanuk! I am beyond excited, and I'm sure I'll be back on here with a bunch of questions. For now I just wanted to share my good news and see if there are any other LYSD new hires out there to connect with. :)

Congrats on your new position, Courtney!

You probably already know about this, but LYSD has a nice internal forum for new hires (or at least they have in the past). They also have some very helpful information for new hires here:

http://www.loweryukon.org/District/Human_resources/Welcome_to_LYSD

I'm sure that some other LYSD new or recent year hires will chime in here, but as you formulate new questions about your move, let us know and we'll try to assist.

John
Johncn

Postby pdwerts » Sat May 17, 2014 4:20 pm

I noticed LYSD in the subject line for this post and it caught my eye. I've taught in LYSD for 2 years now. If you need a contact in the district let me know. I probably won't be checking this forum again, but you can e-mail me, pdwerts@gmail.com.
pdwerts

Postby Betty Walters » Fri May 23, 2014 8:23 am

Hi Courtney,

Congratulations on your position with LYSD. You will enjoy your new school and community.

Let me know if you are a first or second year teacher new to the profession. The Alaska Statewide Mentor Project (ASMP) will support you and other qualifying teachers at your site as you come into the state. ASMP mentors are not evaluative and work with each qualified teacher in many ways that are selected by the individual teacher (you). Teachers in Alakanuk have had mentors from across the state for about ten years. We are familiar with your district and your site. You will meet someone from ASMP when you are in Anchorage for LYSD inservice in August but in the meantime you can contact me and I will give you more info on what you might expect from a mentor. Do not hesitate to use any of the info below for a contact. If I do not respond within 2 days, do try another way to get my attention. (that applies to anyone reading this post as well. I will be available all summer and, at least in a day or two, will let you know that I have received your contact.

Betty Walters
Alaska Statewide Mentor Project
bettywalters.asmp@gmail.com
(907) 441-5860 (c)
Skype bwalters01
http://www.alaskamentorproject.org
Betty Walters

Postby Courtney » Sat May 24, 2014 5:43 am

Thank you, Betty!
This will actually be my 19th year teaching, so I guess I don't qualify. ;)
It sounds like a wonderful program!
Courtney

Postby tibloo » Fri May 30, 2014 3:57 pm

Hello, Courtney. I am also a new hire with LYSD and will be teaching in Kotlik. I am super excited about this opportunity and relieved to "see" another newbie to connect with on this site. Tim
tibloo

Postby Courtney » Fri May 30, 2014 4:03 pm

Congrats, Tim! It's good to "meet" you, too! :D
What will you be teaching at Kotlik?
Courtney

Postby tibloo » Fri May 30, 2014 4:31 pm

Thanks. I will be teaching Third/Fourth grade. I see you have 19 years experience, what do you teach?
tibloo

Postby Courtney » Fri May 30, 2014 5:16 pm

I'm teaching third grade right now, but I'll be moving to kindergarten.
Courtney

Postby dgallon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:59 am

Hi,

I am also going to LYSD I just signed my contract for 5th at Pilot Station. I am a second year teacher with a year of 5th grade under my belt. Right now I am ending my current school year and deciding what I need to send into storage and what I need to take to Pilot. I guess I will see all the LYSD folks on here in Anchorage on Aug 4th.

Donn
dgallon

Postby Courtney » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:52 pm

Welcome, Donn, and congrats on your position! The pics I've seen of Pilot look gorgeous!
I'm also in the process of trying to downsize, declutter, and pack. It's overwhelming!
Courtney

Postby dgallon » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:14 pm

Courtney wrote:Welcome, Donn, and congrats on your position! The pics I've seen of Pilot look gorgeous!
I'm also in the process of trying to downsize, declutter, and pack. It's overwhelming!

Hi Courtney,

Yes, I did my research and have seen some great pictures of Pilot (some videos also). I even found a blog that the 4th grade teacher there made so I have seen some of the things that my incoming 5th graders did last year. Provided no one moved out of the village over the summer I know a little about the kids I will be teaching :) !!!!

Packing is going to be interesting. I have to decide what I really want to take and what I will put in storage but I want a system in place so if I need it I can say look in a certain box. I just have to see when I can close out utilities and lease etc.... I am ending a one year "remote" tour in Las Vegas so I want to see family before I take off again.

Donn
dgallon

Return to ATP Forum