Certification question/options

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Certification question/options

Postby msheffield » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:49 am

Hello everyone! My question is in regards to Certification options. I have everything ready to go for my application except for the Institutional Recommendation Form (I'm in contact with my university to get it done). Should I go on and submit my application for the 1-year Out-of-State Certificate or should I wait for the form and apply for the 2-year Initial Certificate? I don't know how long it will take to get the form back and don't want to wait too long to get my application in and run into the busy season, if I haven't already done so! Any advice?
msheffield

Re: Certification question/options

Postby Darla Grediagin » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 am

This depends on if you want to go through the certificate process again in a year's time. Can you find out from your institution how long this process may take? I was surprised how normal this request is for a university and how quickly an out of state college provided this for me.

Good luck
Darla Grediagin

Postby Johncn » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi,

As we always remind people, EED is the best source of information about certification questions. Sondra Meredith (EED Teacher Certification Program Manager) was our guest on a couple of live chats.

That said, if I am interpreting you question correctly:

....I have everything ready to go for my application except for the Institutional Recommendation Form....Should I go on and submit my application for the 1-year Out-of-State Certificate or should I wait for the form and apply for the 2-year Initial Certificate?

Unless EED has changed their requirements on their site, they use a "single packet" approach, which simply means that when you send your application materials in (with a signature required!), you need to make sure EVERYTHING is included. That means you can't send everything but the Institutional Recommendation. ;-) It's got to have all your forms in the same package, as well as fingerprint cards, and so on.

Hope this helps, and let me know if they have changed that since our last ATP Live Chat with Sondra.

The Alaska EED Teacher Certification site is:

Alaska EED Teacher Certification Office (Juneau)
http://education.alaska.gov/TeacherCertification/

Regards,

John
Johncn

Postby msheffield » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:04 pm

Darla, good point, I'm currently waiting on my advisor to get back to me for me to even send the form to them to fill out. So I'll see what the turn around time is and make a decision.

John, I guess I was really looking for advice on whether I should wait for my institutional recommendation form and apply for the 2-year initial or if I should send my application in for the 1 year out of state certificate. I understand that I can't send the packet without all documents but I've read in a couple of different places on the EED site that I don't need the recommendation form for the out-of-state certificate-just transcripts, fingerprints, pages 3-9, and my certificate (then send in the additional items within a year), which I could have read wrong. I'll contact EED to be sure I'm on the right path.

Thank you both for the comments!
msheffield

Return to ATP Forum