Tote dimensions have the regs changed?

This is Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Toni McFadden

Tote dimensions have the regs changed?

Postby kazachka » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:29 pm

Can anyone quote me the current allowable dimensions on totes mailed at the in state parcel post rate? I cannot find it at USPS.com .I mailed 4 just now from the Sand Lake PO in Anchorage near home and unfortunately got some new guy that didn't seem to know what he was doing nor could he answer my questions as to whether the regs have very recently changed. I always use the yellow lid 27 gallon totes from Costco. I have never paid an extra surcharge for size and this is now my sixth year with my district and doing the mailing routine. I last mailed the same sized totes to the village from Anchorage in late March and did not get slammed with a 19$ surgcharge per tote. Needless to say, I'll just go to the airport PO next time. Have other teachers encountered this? Thx for any feedback.
kazachka

Re: Tote dimensions have the regs changed?

Postby kazachka » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:29 pm

After some digging and asking this is the not so good news. Everyone shipping needs to know this because it has essentially doubled the cost of mailing totes :o

On April 3rd , a rate change went into effect adding a surcharge for over a certain length or over 2 cubic feet in volume (excluding flat rate packaging).

The below summary is for Retail parcels (first class, priority, PME, ground, ground LOR, parcel select, parcel select lightweight). Notes 3, 4, and 5 address the new surcharges.

The cubic surcharge can be charged at the same time as the length surcharge. A package over 2 cubic feet (3456”) and over 22 inches long will have both the $4 fee and the $15 fee charged.

I’ve also attached a few pages from the Postal Bulletin that addresses the change, which is now in the Domestic Mail Manual.
kazachka

Postby Johncn » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:07 pm

Hey Kazachka,

Bad news, but good detective work! I don't see the attachment. If you email me at atp@teachers4schools.com, I'll update this thread, and add it as a reference to our shipping / logistics page on the main ATP website.

Thank,

John
Johncn

Postby kazachka » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:56 pm

Sent!
Buyer beware-today-they tried hitting me for 2x15$surcharge for the SAME COSTCO YELLOW LID SIZE TOTE! Lots of the postal workers themselves seem to be messing this up :(
kazachka

Postby Johncn » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:05 am

Thanks. Got it.

Here is what the original poster of this thread got from an inquiry to Cheryl Little - who is listed as the USPS Mailing Requirements Clerk in Anchorage - to explain the rate changes for Alaska rural mail users:

In addition, Cheryl sent a referral to this USPS resource:

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-are-the-Different-Ways-Parcels-are-Priced

Finally, national news outlets are reporting on the USPS announcement from last week (August 10, 2022) that there will be a temporary "Peak Pricing" increase for holiday mail. This will be going into effect October 2, but it's not clear to me if Alaska's mail rates - which are historically somewhat different than the L48's - will be impacted in a similar way. You can read about this here:

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/national-releases/2022/0810-usps-announces-proposed-temporary-rate-adjustments.htm

The planned peak-season pricing, which was approved by the Governors of the Postal Service on Aug. 9, would affect prices on the following commercial and retail domestic competitive parcels: Priority Mail Express (PME), Priority Mail (PM), First-Class Package Service (FCPS), Parcel Select and USPS Retail Ground. International products would be unaffected. Pending favorable review by the PRC, the temporary rates would go into effect at 12 a.m. Central on Oct. 2, and remain in place until 12 a.m. Central Jan. 22, 2023.

Sources indicate that the price increases depend on the weight of the package, and the distance of the delivery. Commercial priority mail packages will see a 75 cent hike, and heavy, long-distance deliveries could see increases of up to $6.50. Ho. Ho. Ho.

Hope this helps in planning for educators doing Bush mailing. Will post clarifications if I can find them regarding the impact on a holiday price increase for Bush mail users. Feel free to add what y'all find to this thread! ;-)

John
Johncn

Postby Betty Walters » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:34 pm

EGADS JOHN,
YOU and KAZACHKA (whoever that may be) just saved me answering a question I had on the postal costs for getting boxes/totes out to the remote areas in Alaska. I got on here thinking that there would be great amounts of information. Not only did I get to see you on line, but I learned great and current info I can spread as necessary.
Thanks again John and Kazachka. Let's keep getting teachers and administrators out to districts to get school progressing through opening days and the first weeks, months, etc.
More next time. Betty Walters
Betty Walters

Return to ATP Forum