Student teaching in Alaska

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden, Damon Hargraves

Student teaching in Alaska

Postby swinfrey » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 am

Hello all,

I am scheduled to do my student teaching beginning in the Spring of 2021 term. I am currently in Arkansas, and have seriously thought about inquiring about doing my student teaching in Alaska. Is this a possibility? I am married and have four young boys also, and am a non-traditional student age. Hubby and I are almost certain that we want to move to Alaska anyhow once I graduate in May of 2021.

Anyone have any helpful information? Thank you in advance!
swinfrey

Re: Student teaching in Alaska

Postby Johncn » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:06 pm

Hello,

Yes, there is a process for student teachers from other states to be put in touch with school districts willing to host them. It's explained on the main Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) website front page here:

ATP Main Website
https://www.alaskateacher.org/

Here is the direct link to the application page:

Alaska Student Teacher Interest Form
http://www.alaskateacher.org/st_interest.html

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Postby swinfrey » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:55 am

I filled out the student teaching application back in July and never got a response.
swinfrey

Postby Johncn » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:09 pm

Hello,

Like many school districts across the country, Alaska schools are still trying to get school open and running. I think that student teacher placement decisions are likely made at least a semester beforehand, so not getting a response from a July indication of interest does not necessarily mean you won't get one. It's still the first week or two of school in many districts in Alaska.

Regards,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum