Subject Area Cert Questions

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Subject Area Cert Questions

Postby ChaosIsWelcome » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello, I am in a similar situation to others who posted last year and have an additional question. To move from the temporary to the professional, are any out of State Scores acceepted? I see that the Florida FTCE general knowledge is acceptable for the BCE, and I am hoping my subject area exams from FL (Biology 6-12 and Math 5-9) will carry over too. Taking Praxis isn't the end of the world but hoping to save the $.

In addition, how long would you recommend putting in the paperwork before applying? We are looking to move in the summer of 2020. I will be applying to a specific area, which I am a bit worried about (hubby is planning to join Alaska State Troopers and where I go will depend on him.

Thank you!
Last edited by Johncn on Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split topic for new policy year clarity
ChaosIsWelcome

Re: Subject Area Cert Questions

Postby Johncn » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:25 am

Hello,

This is a good question, actually, because the current Alaska EED Teacher Certification office page on content area testing has a vague section and/or typo, and the policy or interpretation of 4 AAC 12.407 (Alaska amended statutes) defers many decisions regarding testing to the state accrediting agency. Sondra Meredith (or her team members) at tcwebmail@alaska.gov ARE the best single source of information regarding any grey areas. ;-)

As you stated in your question, there are state tests that meet the BCE requirement. The content area exams are primarily Praxis II series (current and former), and there are very specific rules about whether or not you can use those to obtain add on certifications...it differs by subject / grade level.

Here is the vague area, but unlike the BCE requirement, I see nothing last lists equivalent exams by state or anything. I would go with "Must be Praxis II or Historical Equivalent" unless Sondra or someone from EED clarifies this in the interim:

As you can see, there is sentence that just ends unexpectedly that COULD address this issue, but may not. ;-) ATP has Sondra on for a live chat in the spring, and we will add this question to the list. If we (or you!) get an answer sooner, let's update this thread to help others. Do note that a prior PDF that EED provided had very similar language that ended like this:

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Return to ATP Forum