Opportunities for Large Families

This is the new version of the Alaska Teacher Placement (ATP) forum for teachers, education majors, and school administrators to discuss working and living in the state of Alaska. Those considering an Alaskan job, or considering a new Alaskan education job ask questions, and those with information and/or opinions provide answers. Although many users are teacher or principal candidates from the Lower 48, a large number of current and former school district HR and school administrators subscribe.

Moderators: Johncn, Damon Hargraves, Betty Walters, Toni McFadden

Opportunities for Large Families

Postby Burgessk17 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:56 pm

Are there any villages that have teacher housing with 4 plus bedrooms?
Burgessk17

Re: Opportunities for Large Families

Postby Johncn » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:30 pm

Hi,

It is impossible to know which districts do have larger units, but in general, village settings are more likely to have districts which are obligated through their teacher's union contracted (negotiated agreement) to provide housing for the staff they hire. This means that they either build or lease housing for staff, and although I can't speak for all of them, the ones we have worked for have far more one and two-bedroom apartments than they do three or four bedroom housing units. If the district has villages or hub towns with community-based housing, staff with larger families sometimes work out an arrangement to live "off property", but it would really depend on the district and the community.

Hope this helps,

John
Johncn

Re: Opportunities for Large Families

Postby brittanytaraba » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:16 am

I teach in Hooper Bay with Lower Yukon School District. The biggest housing option we have (in this specific location) is 3 bedroom apartments. I can tell you that there is a teacher here with 5 kids, and they make it work wonderfully!
brittanytaraba

Return to ATP Forum